Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from immigration thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

This is the “crux” of the issue, you have a buildup of, severe, impotent rage from lads who want to discuss a certain topic but they can’t seem to do it in a way that doesn’t contravene the rules.

This leads to a high level of “backlash” against the mods from these lads, who then claim that the reason is they don’t have the “right opinion”. Which, of course, is patently nonsense.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

My conclusion looking at the posters who are banned from certain sites is that the reporting is being done by posters who are all for certain policies or they get far more leeway when discussing certain issues.

I think that the forum has an obligation to be fair. Strange if you don't

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I don't know if it's an Irish thing about not wanting to report, or if people just think that the mods are vindictive as well as biased.

But it's stupid, having to rely on that.

From the look of it getting threadbanned is an honour system, just remember not to post here again.

But pretty sure if the OP posted again in that thread he'd be fully banned in minutes, and yet there's a couple of thread banned posters who it seems the ban is optional.

The deleting posts is BS, whatever about spam getting deleted but if you're just deleting stuff rather than the old card and edit then it's likely to come up again and again.

Maybe someone else post it now it's reported on a different news site, or people who who say the original start talking about it again, or the original poster posts a follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Plenty of us do use the report button. In fact the phantom deletion of posts was just the recent "method" the moderator has been called out on.

Reports are just ignored when it dosent come from the right POV in that thread.

I daresay 3 certain active posters on that thread are the most reported people on the forum with "anecdotes" aplenty .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The status quo on boards suits you because your beliefs and opinions align with the editorial slant preferred on this platform.

I see a number of more left leaning posters on this thread guffawing at the complaints being made by others about moderation etc, as per usual.

If boards is to thrive it needs to be on the fence straight down the line all the time. Currently that isn't the case, boards leans left, if you don't like it get ready to run the gauntlet because your opinion most certainly isn't welcome.

I'm not excusing poor behaviour of anyone, but I know that if you have a particular set of beliefs that you express on this site you get a much greater amount of leeway than others, that's the reputation the site is garnering for itself right now and it's biggest challenge to overcome going forward.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

A fella I know told me his cousin's neighbour once reported a post and the mod told him to feck off.

No need to thank me for adding so much valuable insight and irrefutable proof to the thread topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭nachouser

CA posters are basically given enough rope to hang themselves. At which point one of these threads starts. Again:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

It's funny that someone expects moderators to read every ranting post on the forum, and then moderate accordingly. I wouldn't do that even if I got paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭Shoog

Its not a democracy here, it's a moderated forum and if you don't agree with the moderation style the answer is simple - **** off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,812 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have we gone full circle back to left now? I'm having a hard time keeping up.

A few months ago I was only just laughing at people complaining about how 'board.ie was right wing' as if that was somehow a long standing known thing.

Boards is far more centrist these days than I've ever seen it in the twenty odd years I've been reading the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The left wing posters have always gotten a lot more leeway, they've also always been of the opinion that boards is turning into storm front, yet they're happy with the moderation (as evidenced on this thread) whilst others have issues which they characterise as childish.

Boards is left leaning and always has been. It should have no affiliation and come down hard on loons on either end of the spectrum.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

If you think that is lovely then you should see some of the vile abuse that left leaning posters deal with. Get over it.

Personally I haven't seen any vile abuse towards posters. Perhaps it's your definition of vile is the problem.

Sure you reported any

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Vile abuse in posts get deleted.

Then typically the poster gets threadbanned.

Other posters see that poster has been threadbanned and think it is for the posts they have seen. So take away a misleading impression.

If you havent seen vile abuse on CA its because the mods deleted it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

If I though you cared a single **** for the hundreds of raped girls at the hands of Irish men - I would take your words at face value.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Well i genuinely have not seen any vile abuse. Perhaps the poster who stated he has was just on the discussion at the right time maybe .

I have seen alot of good posters being banned for comments that are definitely not vile.

Its your focus that's the issue, your not interest in the rape just the colour of the person who perpetrated it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

How do you know thats the full reason why they were banned?

I often see posters threadbanned without specific post citation.

Clearer comms from mods would clarify things.

• Advertisement

Should we not leave this thread about trying to get some kind of fairly even moderating on current affairs issues. I'm sure if we carry on about immigration and immigrants the thread is going to be closed.

Totally agree odyssey, perhaps the comments should be left up for all to see what the poster was banned for instead of deleting straight away. It would certainly clarify alot of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well you seemed to know within mins after I mentioned on the Refugee thread about Ukrainians in my village and banned me from the thread.

How did you happen to find that out so quickly?

I think clearer comms would be good but bit self defeating allowing vile insults to stand imo. But then thr context is lost. Catch 22.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I totally see where you're coming from completely. But definitely think some kind of solution has to be found for a level and unbiased discussion.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And I've just looked back at this action on 10 December

Reported 8.55pm, and I dealt with the report at 10.03pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭nachouser

I've said it before, but you all seem to want boards.ie to be a place where you can post stuff that you wouldn't dare post in a work group chat. Funny double standards.

Stuff like what. Do you know what the content of posts are that some have issues with being banned. Do you know why I received a ban. Or are you just surmising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well if the Admins keep this up long term posters will just decide its not worth it and move to other forums where people are allowed to mention what is happening in their areas.

Now maybe you are of the opinion that I and others should just clear off for good if we aren't happy with the decisions you guys make but this site isn't drawing in new posters like it used to so do you really want a large group of long term posters to head for the hills?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement