Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from immigration thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

BUt you are the perfect example that moderation is not applied fairly.

Just a few off the top of my head.

You know loads of people in sweeden they have nothing but positive things to say about immigration.

You know loads of police in sweeden who are the same.

You have a relation who worked in England who told you how many irish people claimed the dole.

You knew a relation in Birmingham who has no issues with immigrants when discussing the rape gangs.

YOu lived in some Muslim country and never had any issues with the men.

A housing estate near your parents was shut for years and nobody wanted the houses, now people are delighted people are in them which are immigrants.

I am sure I have missed a few.

Until the immigration thread was closed you were still active in both cases.

If the rules on ancedotes were applied fairly across the board then you wouldn't be posting in the threads.

Not a personal attack on yourself, I don't see an issue with posting ancedotes, just pointing out the mods are happy to ignore the positive ones about immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

You are totally 100% correct.

Perhaps a moderator could explain why the difference.

Alot on here are quick to imply that Alot of whining is going on and how hard it is.

Please explain this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

Excellent post. Well done. If I could thank it twice I would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Not a personal attack? Really?

the warning about anecdotes is relatively new, now if you would like to scroll through all my posts and find any anecdotes that were posted after the warning, feel free to report them.

Most replies like those (which are not all correct) are in response to posters asking me questions, you can also trawl through them all and check that, if you like. They were not all in immigration thread either, but you're welcome to go check that also.

Anything that I post can be reported the same as any other post. You have no idea how many warnings I have. I was also banned from the refugee thread for 8 months.

I am not attacking you at all but responding to your post.

You said people can have conversations once they don't break the rules.

I am just pointing out off the top of my head the times that I recall you breaking the rules, yet were still posting in both threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭suvigirl

And as I pointed out, I didn't break rules as they were at the time. Anything posted after the warning, feel free to report.

I wasn't posting in the refugee thread for 8 months, nor are you aware of how many warnings, I or any other posters has.

You made a post and I responded to the post.

If I came in here and brought your name up then I would agree it would be a personal attack.

I am not going to go forward and back because their is no more to be said from me about it, if you feel personally attacked then feel free to report it.

I won't be discussing it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Needed to be said thank you.

The double standards are what annoys me in particular. I like others have no problem with people posting anecdotes which i just see as peoples experiences in life but apparently some peoples experiences are more relevant than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

"the warning about anecdotes is relatively new"??

I was threadbanned over a year ago for mentioning the amount of Ukrainians and asylum seekers in towns close to me in Kerry. I was previously warned for talking about Ukrainians in my workplace who had issues with their host. This was considered "anecdotal".

Fair enough if it was the rules, I actually had no idea what an anecdote meant in terms of posting (now I do) but its grossly unfair to threadban stories of real life situations from some posters and not from others simply because they do not tally with the narrative. The immigration conversation is happening everywhere, on the street, on all media channels, all radio channels, in most homes in the country.

Posters are not trying to stir up anything, they are simply trying to be heard, to have a voice. If you suppress dialogue that's when it turns to anger. People are looking for fairness here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I think it’s fair to say that, generally speaking, those on the right tend to be angrier and more aggressive. This posting style juxtaposes with the calm, measured and reasonable posting “style” of those on the compassionate left.

Mods will always find it harder to “sanction” someone who’s not going after others in a, particularly, aggressive manner or posting hateful, made up, anecdotes to attack a vulnerable group.

Immigration will always be a “touchy” for some but it’s explodes when a certain section of society feel disenfranchised and when other bad actors play on those fears to stoke them up. Fear is the main driver and, as history has shown us, is something those on the right use to their advantage whenever they can.

Ironically, a lot of the same ones pushing this fear, and hatred, will back Putin in Russia, who is the root cause of our capacity issue for refugees right now. Another ironic “twist” to all of this is how they’ll go on about how terrible it is that refugees are living in shanty town type arrangements, attacking the government, but then they support violent protests and the destruction of potential accommodation for these people.

It really is a shame that such a, loud, vocal minority let fear, and hatred, drive their lives. Would be something if they could, even, “express” themselves in a, more, civilised manner.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Your posts show totally what is wrong and how biased the site has become. Thanks for being honest and showing your true colours.

In your eyes as you state those on the right are more aggressive and angrier but those on the left are calm and compassionate. Your words. So the moderators find it easier to sanction. Total BS about the difference in posting from left to right, but totally spot on to how certain moderators see it.

At least your honest. Not like some.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,917 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Facts and how you convey facts are two totally different things. This thread is not about facts concerning immigration or immigration at all, it's about the perceived notion that some people feel they're being silenced or banned for their opinions.

There's an age old 'don't be a dick' rules on boards.ie which I feel a lot of folks seem to be falling foul of.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is your official stance that only the perceived "negative" anecdotes are being reported?

Really?

Master of the Universe

I hope the irony of your post being angry in response to Emmetspiceland's calm post is not lost on you.

I was speaking generally.

Mods can’t sanction anyone for posting within the rules. If a poster gets aggressive and goes after a poster, instead of “attacking” the post, they are liable to be sanctioned.

Being civil with your points and adhering to forum, or site, rules and in-thread moderator instructions will mean you can put any point across you want and you won’t get any “warnings”.

Again, it’s quite simple and, yet, some people just refuse to “get it”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

So my response is seen by you as an angry response. Lol. Perhaps you should report it

Does passive aggressive count. Like your last post..

He can’t report a post for being “angry”, that’s not against the rules. It is fair to say that angry posters, usually on the right, who post angrily will, within their post, add something that is in breach of the rules and, as such, will be liable for sanctioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

That first paragraph has to be the most condescending thing I've read in ages.

I've been on the receiving end of the lefts "compassion" on this site and I can atest to the fact that what you're saying there has no basis in fact whatsoever.

I'm a centrist, I've stated this consistently and I'm constantly told I'm far right or a fascist or whatever other nonsense by the "compassionate" left for not agreeing wholeheartedly with their opinions. I'm also subjected to tirades of abuse that goes unpunished from the deep wells of "compassion" of the left.

These posters don't get sanctioned because of bias, not because of a lack of reporting of posts or differing levels of aggression. I've observed this over years of posting on this site, reporting posts seeing people who've abused me and others free to continue posting while other people are banned.

All anyone wants is an equal application of the rules across the board, no special treatment, no filtering based on personal opinion, just the rules being implemented the same way for everyone all the time.

Post edited by nullzero on

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭pauly58

I'm a Senior Moderator on another forum & we had five mods, for the volume of posts here it's obvious two aren't enough. I would never thread ban anyone or remove a post without sending the poster a message first, perhaps asking them to edit their post or re wording it.

A certain poster here has definitely got away with being constantly disruptive with posts full of anecdotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

I would just like to point out that the most aggressive poster in that thread by far is a "left" person who refers to everyone in anyway conservative/right-minded as scumbags. Some laughing acronym for a name I can't remember without looking. I'd say 75% of their posts has the word scumbag in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Is this the same poster who makes claims about funding for the far right from all sorts of foreign groups with absolutely no evidence?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Yes that's the one. Has been threadbanned there before too, must have appealed successfully

Master of the Universe

Your posts are aggressive. Calling someone's post 'bullshit' is aggressive. It's pretty straightforward. I'm not sure how you can't see that.

Post aggressively and you'll eventually fall foul of the rules.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Master of the Universe

Is that person referring to other posters as scumbags or people doing scumbag things in reality as scumbags?

These two things are not the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Agreed. It really is this simple.

I don't touch the immigration threads in CA beyond a few posts a year as they're incredibly toxic. Anyone disagreeing with the gript narrative just gets inundated with snide comments and abuse.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement