Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

roofing am I being scammed

Options
  • 04-05-2024 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

HellHello all.

II've had a sleepless night bc I feel like I'm being scammed.

II had my chimney repaired yesterday new lead 50 tiles. It was a day job for 2 guys.

TThey think I should pay 6.5k

TThe quote which had more work in it was 3k.

WWhat can I do?

II've paid 500 so far and there are 2 ridge tiles and the clean up to do.

TThey already took half a roll of lead I had in the shed.

LLibertyhomerepairs Longford.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

If it's the same people that gave you a quote for 3k then yes they are trying to scam you.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Not that I know anything about roofing, but aren't they missing all the flashing between the chimney and the tiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

I’m guessing from your name you are advanced in years. Some shady dealers have been known to take advantage of that. Have you someone you can ask to talk to them for you?

Was it a written quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Do not pay 6.5k. Jesus. Call the gardai if they hassle you for 6.5k for that job.

I wouldn't give another penny. Job is a mess.

Slates not aligned each side of.chimney

Slates destroyed with plaster droppings.

Lead Not dressed high enough up chimney judging by left corner of chimney.

Ridge caps uneven and the state of the plaster work.

Absolute cowboy effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You were quoted 3k and now from nowhere they want 6,5k…what sort of accent did the representatives of this "company" have?

• Advertisement

Also, it is a pity you spelled Liberty Home Repairs of Longford incorrectly. It may not come up in internet searches.

Hopefully you get it resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That company name isn't registered, that I can find anyway. On that basis, they are cowboys.

Another clue… did they call to you?

It’s nigh on impossible to get good tradesmen these days… if they called to you, good chance they work with cattle.

That and the state of the “work” per the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

You need to be very selective when it comes to hiring roofers. Unlike other tradesmen, anybody, even with zero experience can set themselves up as a roofer. There is little or no regulation in that field.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 menopausasaurus

IIt was a verbal quote, but bc i had to get a bank loan to pay i asked for it to be written down on headed paper for the bank. It has allsorts in it that they didnt use..scaffold rent, 3 labourers for 3 days etc completely new ridge.

IIt's just that it's dangerous to say no. I live alone here, I'm actually on disability which I explained to them 're limited budget .

DDo you think the garda would even show if I phoned them if it turned nasty. I'm not sure they would.

II'm terrified of the trouble.

• Advertisement

AgAgreeded it's taken more than a year to get anybody.but the choices are let the roof fall in or trust Somone. This guy seemed ok. But how can you tell a liar until the roofs open to the sky and you have no choice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Mention it to your local Garda. Also try to have some strong arm type, maybe a neighbour, present when next approached. Did they just offer to repair your roof or did you contact them. Also could you get a camera installed?
    Seek help from whoever you can think would be willing, maybe a men’s shed group?

You’re in a pickle. It almost certainly looks like you’ve been scammed and in the process of being “shaken down”.

I understand your fear. Unless a threat has been made I think the Gardai will see this as a civil matter.

IF the individuals concerned are known to the Gardai they might have a word with them.

Sorry this has happened to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

It sounds like they have this down to a tee. Don't pay them another penny, get someone decent in to clean up their mess. If they try to make trouble tell them you will report them to the guards. Like it says upthread get somebody, a relative, friend or neighbour to come over when you talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd definitely drop into the Garda station and have a chat. Explain your situation and position - you're just looking for advice on how to proceed, that's all. It would be handy if you had a reg number off one of their vehicles at the time, the Guards can know all sorts off a reg. Good luck.

TThankyou for your advice. It was a UK plate which was weird so I took a photo.

HHappy Saturday to all

HHiya thanks for your comment, I have a stalker and so I do have full cctv even in the car. So if they do come to do harm at least there would be good evidence. It's just the fear!

II'm going to recruit some blokes to look menacing!!

Bc this job needed doing I contact a few companies each month to try to get them to come, these guys have fb pages with good photos and i could find no negative posts about them in searches. He said he has a child in the hospital and seemed legit.

Now not so much!!

HHappy weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yellow reg, story about child in the hospital, shoddy work, extorting more money

We all know who these people are now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Shoog

Yes when they come again have the Garda on speed dial and tell them that if they threaten you the Garda will be arriving shortly. Fortunately the Garda are quite good on this and don't like to see threatening scam artists operating on their patch. They will know exactly who they are dealing with if you supply the reg plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

The accent can be a giveaway a lot of cases like this unfortunately... But combined with the yellow plates, lack of website, etc…

I'm thinking this is a wind up though as you are saying above you are going to hire some hard men... Money is available for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,776 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Call the Gardai and tell them exactly what happened. Those guys are sure to have form. I could hazard a guess as to their identity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Jjust been up in the loft...fxxx

II can see daylight and there's not even felt down.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

How were you capable of climbing into the loft?

What disability do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dazzler101

Ask them for their bank details in order for payment and also request insurance details. Don't pay them in cash and only pay them what you deemed the work is worth (zero).

I would inform the guards also and let them know, they might be able to inform you the best way to approach this. If you have any family or friends around, let them know and have somebody with you when they call.

Unless they want to call back and reinstate their shabby work, I would not hand over any more money. If they are not registered VAT company. report them to revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What possible relevance could that have to the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

She stated she has a disability - hence the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What has your question got to do with a thread about roofers ripping off the op, and why do you want to know the answer to that question?
    The ops disability is none of your business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Stranger and stranger the story gets. Can afford to hire 'heavies' to intimidate the contractors, couldn't get anyone to do the job over years, yellow reg, can see the sky through the attic etc.

Advertisement