Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small kitchen extension - builder no insurance

Options
  • 04-05-2024 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello,

I would be grateful for some advice please. I have found a suitable builder to build a small kitchen for extension, but he doesn’t seem to be insured. He sent me a copy of his friend’s policy and said he is covered under it. I asked for proof of that and he said he doesn’t have it.

Would it be a terrible idea to go ahead with using him anyway? It’s a small extension and he has 20+ years of doing them

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭mulbot

Yes a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Whatever about having no insurance himself, trying to fool you with his friends insurance details, means he's a chancher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭enricoh

Has he done work for people you know? Is the 20+ years something on his Facebook or legit.

I had extension/revamp done direct labour and doubt many of the lads had insurance but I knew them.

If lads asked them for insurance details etc they'd just go to next job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Shoog

If your going to go down this route you need to see multiple examples of his work from different periods and talk to the clients. You lose peace of mind but gain €10s of thousands on savings. Part of the issue is you need to be confident he knows all building regs and will not cut corners on been compliant. If your just pushing ahead and thinking about retention then the risks to you grow exponentially.

If you need to sell in the future your buyers solicitor will insist on a certificate of compliance from an engineer and that is what a legit builder will offer as part of the package. The fact that the extension will likely be exempt from planning will not stop a buyers solicitor insisting on a cert. You run the very real risk of severely compromising the resale value of you house or even rendering it unsellable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭phormium

I did a small kitchen extension couple of years ago, you must inform your own building insurers that this work is going on or you screw up your own cover while it's happening and they will probably ask for a copy of your builders insurance. At least mine did anyway and I had to get him to forward it directly to them.

That's before you even start to wonder why he doesn't have it, one of his workmen falls/breaks/injuries something who's on the hook for that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement