Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Murphys Lose VW, McConnells lose Toyota

Options
  • 04-05-2024 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭

As the post says, Tom Murphys will soon be the main Toyota dealer for Waterford, I think McConnells are just closing, Rumoured that Bolands will now be the main VW dealer, Im not sure about Mercedes, I wonder will Bolands build a new VW garage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭azimuth17

The title of the post might more accurately say that Tom Murphy gave up VW and is giving up Mercedes. Demands for huge investment when faced with the new agency type dealership is the likely reason. Sad to see McConnell's surrender the Toyota dealership. Remember Sheridan's gave up the Ford dealership after more than 100 years because of demands for massive investment in facilities.

I'm not sure that I'd invest in a new garage at this time. Would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

well i suppose unless youre in the know we really dont know if they lost it or gave it up, but besides the point, I can see a Bolands building a new garage because they are the money machine, In fairness i think when youre a main dealer for VW and youre also selling E-Scooters from the same show room it loses its razzle dazzle or more questions than answers, I dont know if they have lost Mercedes?? Sheridans are a bit of a disaster of a showroom anyway, I wonder why no one used the land opposite bmw, I know its bedrock but theres always ways around that, pilons etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

Merc going direct, not 100% sure how it works but they are cutting out the dealer model

wow, thats a strange one, i suppoe its the way the worlds going

Sheridans have a really beautiful KIA showrooms, you should take a look before you condemn.

Murphys are surrendering the Mercedes dealership and will be selling Toyota and Lexus.

• Advertisement

Id say its more their location in a very small tight space, rarely parking available, just my experience/opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭goochy

I think they are losing Mercedes and vw giving too short a franchise agreement.

Bolands have a monopoly in South East

They seem to have really increased their bwm new and used bmw stock bit showrooms too small amd need a paint job

Kia going for standalone dealerships so would say Sheridan had to give up ford

Why haven't auto Boland opened fiat smd jeep showroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

Mercedes wanted a new showroom for their electric cars, something Murphy's weren't willing to do after investing in the showrooms they already have.VW didn't want to share the showroom with another brand so that's why they are losing them.

Is there any confirmation yet as to whos taking VW? I know were all expecting it to be bolands

Mercedes should have insisted on standalone showrooms back in the 00s instead of let dealers like tom murphys spend millions on dual franchise dealerships

• Advertisement

I wonder will there be a merry go round now of mechanics, McConnells lads to Tom Murphys Tom Murphy VW to the new VW garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Trinity I've heard are taking VW

Trinity I've heard are taking VW

Not many suitable sites

wat about the site at the roundabout? where the side entrance to homestore and more, its bedrock but nohing pilons wouldnt sort.

I think Mercedes want to do a new selling model, more direct with centers of excellence and customer days.

Bolands Mercedes in Wexford ran an event in Faithlegg recently and I imagine that will be how it goes going forward, may not actually see a Mercedes showroom in Waterford in the future. Wexford may just become the South Eastern center of excellence.

Boland Wexford great dealership . Think kilkenny be a better location as sheehyd likely lose franchise too . Though kilkenny a bit close to wexford

• Advertisement

I was talking about Mercedes . Bolands mercedes are unusual in being a decent Boland garage

BMW alot more easy going about their dealerships . Bolands stock has improved alot but not a standalone dealership and showrooms need a paint and small

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭steinbock123

AFAIK Sheridans were given no choice in the matter, they just received a letter from Ford in the UK saying that’s it lads, thank you for your service, but we’re taking the franchise from you. They weren’t the only Ford dealer this happened to. Bolands can do the volumes the manufacturers demand these days, so they just hoover up the franchises, so if you want a new Ford, it’s over to Wexford with ya.

Bolands in new Ross only doing used cars

Waterford City Ford next to McConnell's took over the Ford franchise. They sell new Fords. Its owned by a member of the Boland family.

Yet their premises are quite small and unimpressive

Starting out. All beginnings are small. I honestly think, without meaning to offend, that you have no idea of the cost of fixed assets. You want to see expensive new showrooms, fair enough, but convincing any bank manager to loan for a new showroom in the present state of the market , with EVs etc, is an extremely difficult task. You don't just rock up with a new franchise and spend 10m euro on a new showroom, having just bought an existing one.

You expect better for ford.but they are no longer a leading brand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There is a clause with Toyota that you cannot sell any other brand. That’s the reason why

Advertisement