Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment building and FTTH

Options
  • 05-05-2024 11:35am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I live in an apartment building and have been waiting on high-speed broadband for over a year. FTTC is not available despite all the checkers saying it is. Eir/KN etc finally finished the road works outside and the checkers are now showing as 2Gb fibre available but KN were unable to install in the apartment. They said the internal wiring is copper and can't be used. I have been told it will take 2-3 months to resolve.

Anyone have any experience with this and what are they likely they do here? Will they have to run fibre cables to and into each apartment? Can they make use of the ethernet cables that the developer put into the apartments? Is it possible they'll just abandon it and decide it's not worth the hassle?

At this stage I am thinking I may just go with 5G…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭jd

The Owners' Management Company has to give the go ahead for fiber to be installed. Fiber is installed in the development to little boxes above each apartment door. From what I hear, if the Management Agent (empoyed by the OMC) is not co-operative it can delay or prevent the deployment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thanks that's interesting! They didn't say anything about management company approval. I can't see that being issue except just adding to the delay. So did they just run the cables along the walls/ceiling to each apartment? I can't see any cables in that picture unless they are concealed. The KN engineer was suggesting at first that they might have to run the cable up the outside wall but they seemed to rule that out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭jd

Cable comes out each floor from the utility riser and is run to boxes (containing the fiber they'll need to run into the apartment). You'd barely notice the fiber running to the boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

In an apartment all you own is the air inside the walls, the OMC own the buildings and everything else. You need their permission to do anything to the building, which is why they are allowed to remove satalie dishes. You need to contact your Management Agent to see what the Owners Management Company plan is for getting fiber to the apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭RobiePAX

"At this stage I am thinking I may just go with 5G…"

Are apartments not enabled for Virgin Media or SIRO? Also you sure there's no landline socket in your place? FTTC uses copper line. You said engineer told you all internal wiring is copper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They are relatively new build apartments. They are wired for Virgin but haven't been connected to the network (presumedly would require road works) and Virgin say they have no plans to do. There are copper wires for Eir phone/FTTC but they are not connected and because it's a new build Eir will only do fibre. It took them over a year but the estate is finally connected to the fibre network but now they are saying they can't use the internal wiring.

Advertisement