Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to cancel Bank Holiday weekends? Just listen before jumping to conclusions.

• 05-05-2024 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

I think if the Government just got rid of Bank Holiday weekends it would save life's especially on the roads and make everything especially weekends trips away cheaper for all of us. Instead the Government could have it wrote into law and maybe into the constitution that everyone no matter your job big or small employee or employer, self employed or not would have to have at least two weeks holidays every year and a set amount of Fridays or Mondays off every year too at least untill everyone gets to a four day work week.

It Would save life's on the roads none of this everyone heading off on the same weekend some where and it would reduce traffic congestion on the roads too, it would also stop hotels B&Bs etc ripping people off at weekends because peoples days off would be spread out throughout the year and they would not know.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Timfy

I see your logic but it would make things difficult for event organisers. I am involved with several walking festivals and we always schedule over bank holiday weekends to a) ensure that we attract the maximum amount of attendees joining us and b) it gives people a "wind down" day before returning to the grindstone.

You are unfortunately always going to get nutters on the roads, I don't think that spreading out holiday times would change that much. A better idea is that the hospitality sector submit their standard tariff every year and have it enforced that pricing can only move by a small, say 5%, amount over the season. A room is a room is a room and shouldn't suddenly triple in price just because they can!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

interesting idea, im all for the 4 day week, but theres many reasons for the issues outlined, we clearly have an extremely serious drink and/or drug driving problem, that happens 7 days of the week, with higher concentrations at times…

…a hell of lot of people already work weekends and all sorts of mad shifts….

…theres no guarantees that businesses would not alter prices due to these changing working conditions, due to varying costs and the drive to maximize profits….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another mad brain fart, another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Hell no! As they say …

It's great having weekends and long weekends so those of us who can opt out of working during the week get to enjoy really cheap travel and really cheap fares. :D

Don't think it'd make a blind bit of difference to people getting killed on the roads - they're already more than capable of doing that to themselves and others any night of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭con747

Once again, OP maybe you should take your holidays from opening ridiculous threads starting today.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭Raichų

yeah I’ve always said bank holidays are the cause of all our problems. I think they were invented by the illuminati to reduce the population

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Lord forbid we should have a break on a long weekend now and again with all our family or friends off at the same time. Another brilliant insight OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

There is nothing stopping you from organising a big family get together any time you want.

. A better idea is that the hospitality sector submit their standard tariff every year and have it enforced that pricing can only move by a small, say 5%, amount over the season. A room is a room is a room and shouldn't suddenly triple in price just because they can!

I agree that would be a great idea. I stayed up in Dublin a while back and the room cost me €70 then I went to book the same place again for the summer and it was at least 3 times that crazy for a tiny little room.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭con747

So, because you think you were getting ripped off in Dublin for a small room lets cancel Christmas/Easter and all the other bank holidays so you can get an affordable room. Saving lives on the road? As if what you suggest would have any impact whatsoever is laughable. OP will you give the rest of us here a break from your as was said earlier "brain farts" please.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Fallout2022

It should also be noted that the Banks aren't paying a single cent for this free advertising.

Bank Holiday this. And Bank Holiday that. Banks is all we're hearing about. Kunts.

At the very least the first fifty everyone gets out of the ATM should be on the Bank. For the duration of the three days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,049 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Not a CA

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement