Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding a double muscled heifer

Options
  • 06-05-2024 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭

I have a LMX heifer here around 14 months old. She’s not very tall but in good condition. Looking at the genotype results there, she has 2 copies of F94L. This is my first time coming across it, I’d have lots of cattle with just 1 copy. Is she suitable for breeding? Or am I best fattening her on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

All my LM & LMx are 2x F94L. Never any issues calving with them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Ideal for breeding. Zero chance of a double muscle calf off her unless you put a 2 x Q204x bull on her, so reduced chance of calving issues

• Registered Users Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The majority of purebred Limousins are F94L / F94L, so you should not have any worries there.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

I wouldn’t worry about the F94L gene, it’s the NT821 and Q204X you need to watch out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭minerleague

Know nothing of these genetics but have quick question - bought two lmx heifers ( out of fr cows ) and put them incalf. First 2 years they both had plainish calves ( R- grade ) but 1 of them this year had a calf that looks like a BB ( all muscle and built like a tank ) Does cow and bull both have 1 copy of double muscle gene? (same bull for all calves)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

have you them genotyped? You can see on ICBF what genes they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭minerleague

Advertisement