Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK'(ish) paid job with almost no commute time OR a better-paid job with long commute

Options
  • 06-05-2024 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭galwayguy85

Irish lad living in Germany, speaks the language reasonably OK, been here ages with my partner. Years of experience in IT, a father to 9 month-old baby and a job with a somewhat so-so salary (although only a short bike away).

A short description of where I am!

Been on the hunt for a better paid job - new circumstances in my life! In a somewhat dull IT job (over-qualified and underpaid) right now. Have been anxious to get out of there a while despite having 'nice' colleagues, a boss who is reasonably agreeable and days when there is absolutely nothing goes on - a dream for many. I feel massively under utilized. Routinely offer to do tasks above my normal pay-grade but it never translates into a potential promotion etc etc.

Another employer in the area of IT has offered me a job with a salary about 15-20% higher (and a better holiday allowance) than what I have right now. The only snag is that it would mean a 15 minute commute to the nearest train station, a one hour train ride (assuming I don't need to change along the way) and then a 5km bus ride to whatever industrial estate they operate from - I don't know how frequent the buses run. And of course, that must all be repeated on the way home. On the road for 3+ hours (worst-case scenario). They have offered to pay for the monthly train ticket.

I don't drive (not a choice I have consciously made) and my partner works in a neighboring town with a job that doesn't lend it self to upping sticks easily. So, this is where I am probably going to be for a while yet.

Do I take the job that pays more (at the loss of work/life balance, time with my child and partner and easy kindergarten arrangements) for something that might drive me bananas in the long term but will afford us the chance to rent a larger flat etc? Home-office has been suggested of two days a week, but I am certain that this not remain the case indefinitely.

What would you do? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SteM

No way would I take the longer commute with a 9 month old around to be honest. I know it's a cliche but you only get time with them when they're young once.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭893bet

20 percent pay rise will be eaten up by some of the commuting costs plus additional tax.

Plus 3 hours travel time.

Easy No.

A larger flat won’t make you happier. Being gone to work before your child wakes and maybe home after they go to bed will make you miserable.

Post edited by 893bet on

I absolutely wouldn't unless I desperately needed the extra cash. If you work a 8 hour day adding 3 hour commute is basically adding 37% more working hours for only 20% increase in pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Get Real

I'd advise you to value your time on an after tax basis per hour (this is different for everyone) but whatever it'd take for someone to hand you in cash if they said "will give you this to wake up 1hr earlier tomorrow" or "will give you this to miss an hour with your child this evening"

Work out what the pay increase would be after tax if you accepted the job.

Say, moving this job took 15 hours per week away from you sleeping/looking after child/cooking, going for a run or simply putting the feet up.

If thats worth, say 10quid an hour to you, you want to see your take home pay increase by 600 a month to make it worth it.

10quid might be too low(all depends on the person) say it's 20quid, will this job increase your take home pay by 1200 a month?

Basically, whatever you value your time at, if the corresponding increase in take home wages is worth it, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No or little commute even if it was with a pay cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭galwayguy85

In Germany, about 1/3 of your income is gone before you see it - that's how it is right now. It may be higher for this job (on the basis that is better paid). I will need to clarify with him what the net income is (a sound bunch I am sure, but the logistics could be awkward).

Yeah, I'm beginning to get the feeling that I could be digging a hole for myself here! Coming to work in a new job with my nerves worn to a frazzle! Confirmed what I what suspected. Will look for something a bit closer to home or is mostly home office.

Becoming a dad has already sucked a lot of free time out of my life. Those be the brokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

What would the commute be like if you had a car?

If your commute would be significantly reduced via car then maybe now is the time to get a licence. I couldn't imagine having a toddler and not having the convenience of a car tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

So is it 15% or 20% pay increase? You’d want to get that clarified?

Does it bring you into a new tax bracket? Ie 20% tax vs 40% tax rate?

Holidays more or less?

Pension, medical benefits or other benefits? Especially if these aren’t been paid in current job.

Short to medium term goals? Might this new job help you reach them better, faster …or not?

Would you drive a scooter? Would that help you get there? Ie cheaper to run and own than a car.

Just a few questions to consider. As someone pointed about above, a car might get you there in 1/2 the time especially will cut down on the waiting times for the train and bus.

2 days home, 3 days in office with 20% more pay, potentially better promotion opportunities and maybe better benefits such as holidays , medical care, pension? If that was the deal, and you could sort the commuting then yes I’d go for it.

You might find your skills in IT are drifting somewhat so do watch that too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

That commute simply isn't worth it, and the timing couldn't be worse with a young baby.

No, stay where you are for now - but keep looking for something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

I think you need to consider the longer term prospects a little more.

you’ve already described your current job as relatively dead end. Are you ambitious and want to develop your career? Does the new role offer that? is it worth some short term pain (commuting 3 days a week) to take a step in that direction?

can you work on the train, shorten day a little?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Tippbhoy1

If you’ve any career ambitions I would say take the job, but have a care plan with the bird and make sure she is also bought into it. Try get two if not three days a week wfh written into the contract.

And learn to drive as a priority. You’re limiting your options straight away in work and life.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭CrazyEric

Just as an alternative option, have you tried explaining to your current employer the problem? There may be a pay rise available if you ask for it, there may be a way to utilise you better and the short commute while starting a family is a blessing in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Thats an awful commute, and not just for the time it would take. Switching between various forms of public transport is a very real ball ache even before you get to the nearly 2 hour journey it would take.

I would want a lot more than 20% extra before I would even consider that.

I would jump at the chance to drive - without divulging to much, circumstances do not allow me to. No driving bans etc! Something else entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Imagine your new boss offered 10% more money (factoring commuting costs) but you have to work an extra 15 hours a week.

Would you take it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

As someone who went back to work full time 5 months after my baby was born, and worked full time with a 60/90 minute average commute each way every day, if I had a chance at one do-over in my life, it would be that I wouldn't have done that. There is so much of my daughter's childhood I simply don't remember. (She is an adult now, and I'm Mammy btw).

Treasure your time with your little one as much as possible. Every possible second. Also consider how your partner would feel if you were gone for an extra 3 hours a day - and what pressures it may increase on them (e.g. if they had to do all the creche drops and pick ups, etc).

And I would also encourage you to learn how to drive. Even a motorbike could solve a lot of your problems. Motorbikes give you great road sense for when you do ever switch to a car.

(ETA) I see you mention driving is not an option for you, so ignore the last paragraph!

Best of luck to you.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In my previous job, I had to travel from J7 to J12 on the M50 and daily, in total, spent well over two hours of what in hindsight was stressful driving.

My current job is a short distance away and it is probably quicker for me to cycle the 13km than drive it. Even driving is so much easier than my old commute.

Since giving up the M50 commute, I've often thought that if I were offered a new job at twice my current salary but having to do my old commute, would I take it? Not a chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Definitely no to the long commute even for better pay especially with a baba no way. But I would chance my arm and ask them to let you work from home!! Why not, it is IT!! Ask. If you don't ask you don't get.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Another chiming in to say don't go for the longer commute job!

Your time is valuable. If money really became an issue you could use those 15 hours weekly to earn a few quid in another fashion...eg English lessons? IT lessons for OAPs?

Thanks! Gave teaching English a crack a few years back. Zero hours contract nonsense - got out of there like a hot snot. IT for the OAPs (or anything involving the sick and the frail) would not be my gig. I'll go with overall consensus here that giving up what would likely be 12 hours a week (minimum) to be on-site (sadly the norm again) would be too big an ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

what if you said to your current employer… I’ve been offered another job… you can say you were head hunted and offered 20% more and were considering taking it.

You’re not handing in your notice. You may be pleasantly surprised. It won’t fix the boring job, but you could also offer to do more (some of his job!? - careful with that one though)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Choose quality of life over a payrise every day if the week mate. You will never get the years you spend commutong back. Whereas money can always be earned again

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SeanieRetrofitter

Assuming a 40 hour week, an extra 15 hours equates to a 37.5% increase in time given to the job. If working remotely 2 days a week that's 9 hours and a 22.5% increase. For a 20% pay raise. I can't see how that's worth it.

Separately, you will only get one opportunity to be a parent to your baby. That 9 or 15 hours commuting is lost forever. No pay raise will ever get that back for you.

An 11 hour day would mean not seeing your child awake for more than a few minutes during the week for a couple of years. At best- if you have the energy after a week of commuting- you'd be a weekend parent.

There's an Instagram video which says work-life balance is complete bullsiht, and if you're giving even nearly as much time to work as to your life you're doing it completely wrong. I fully subscribe to that- life is to be heavily favoured, give the bare minimum to work and go home- nobody in work is going to remember or care about you 3 weeks if you died tomorrow, so why would you commit so much to a job which will never be committed to you?

Thanks for that empathic reply. Only really started to 'bond' with the child in the last few months - giving that up would be foolish. Herself says that the baby is happiest when both of us are around - I'll let the potential employer know the predicament I am in.

A pity really, we had a good rapport in the Teams meetings. It's nice to know however that I am worth more the pittance that my current employer is giving me at the end of the month. Home office is almost regarded as a 'human right' for nearly everybody in my company - it's just the IT staff who are the peasants who must come in to the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'd sit in the current job for at least a year or two until your kid is older. Being around for your son's first few years is invaluable for bonding

Plus I'm sure your partner will appreciate you being able to help more and not being exhausted from commuting

You can always focus on your career later when your son is older

In the short term, I'd recommend trying to make the most of your current job. You can try to take on some extra work to stop yourself going mad with boredom and hopefully it leads to a pay rise as well

Alternatively you can use free time to do some learning

Or just catch up on sleep, you probably need it 😅

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SeanieRetrofitter

Parenting is much easier with 2 than with 1. You being around will reduce the pressure on your other half by a lot, and the little one will pick up on it. And no job pays enough to miss your baby's smiles...

I'd never compromise on family time for a promotion or more money. I've accepted that my career progression has ceased because of that- at the next level up I'd be expected to givethe long hours etc so I'll be sticking to my 9-5 until I retire. I'm outside Dublin though and bought my home 20 years ago so I'm fortunate in that I'm not desperate for every available euro.

If there's a better job for you 90 minutes away, there's one 20 or 30 minutes away as well. It's just a question of finding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That 1,5 hours commute is the minimum time as well. Considering you have two changes, waiting around time and the once in a while that a bus is delayed causing you to miss a connection is likely 2 hours each way. And that's coming from someone who did the exact same commute in the Netherlands where transport is better than Germany.

Its just not worth it. You tend to snack on your commute so your health gets worse, you'll feel like it's wasted time and you'll feel guilty about sitting on a train when you could have been at home with your partner and child.

For now take the easy option, a job you can easily do, a great commute and one that gives you plenty of time with your newborn and partner. Career progression will be there in a few years as well.

Advertisement