Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK'(ish) paid job with almost no commute time OR a better-paid job with long commute

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

I think the posters are assuming an Irish style commute rather than German… as you posted on an Irish site it’s inevitable I guess, I’m also living in Germany and commute is a doddle for me. No need for a car generally. I don’t own one anyway, and have kids. I change twice on the way to work. Posting from it now. 😁

You also should have relatively strong social support in Germany as a working parent.

Just to put that lens on it…

If you can shorten up the hours, makes a big difference

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ask the new job for 3 days at home, it's IT, unless it's physical IT support (which it doesn't sound like). Also talk to your current employer, say you like it there but have an offer. Can they offer a 10% bump and maybe pay for upskilling (a year or two in IT not progressing, area dependent, can set you back).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SteM

Irish style commute, German style commute, doesn't matter when you're on public transport for an extra 3 hours per day and only getting to spend quality time with your child at the weekends imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭galwayguy85

Cool guys. The missus and I decided that the increase in wages would be very soon negated by the travel time, stress getting there (and getting home) and time with the baby if a train/bus is delayed.

Kebabs tend to be the only source of nutrition in the bus/train stations of this land if one is stranded.

Sent the email to the HR department. A small enough family run business so I reckon they'll understand things.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SeanieRetrofitter

Yes and no. The German public transport system is in my experience infinitely more reliable than the irish one. In 9 months in Berlin I encountered 1 disappearing u-bahn (the next one arrived 3 minutes later, and there was a profuse apology over the PA system) and 1 bus was 20 minutes late (there was 6 inches of snow on the ground at the time andi was well out the ring area).

So you can rely on public transport to get you from point a to point b at very predictable times even with taking 2 or 3 buses/trams/trains. So you can plan a multileg with confidence. Not something you can say about the irish system- you mostly can't even plan a single leg journey with confidence.

But I've never been on a train orbusin Germany that would be suitable for working during the commute. Not saying they don't exist, just that I've not been on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SteM

I haven't been there in quite a while but I've taken plenty of public transport over the years in Germany, it was fine. That's not the point I was making. Doesn't matter how reliable it is, a 3 hours commute is still 3 hours commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

The boss man (of the new company)has agreed to having me come on-site one day a week or home office 100% on some weeks (programming tasks etc, not the bloody dull tedium of what I am doing right now). They must want me bad. Dozens of other application, according to LinkedIn - they were the ones who contacted me in the first instance. Changes things just a little. 😊

May take it yet. Assuming Microsoft Teams plays nice.

applicants, rather.

You missed the piece where the commute is part of working time. It does for me, and many others. When I'm on the train I'm either on calls, or reviewing work etc. Also the people beside me. All of that is work time. Plenty of us have flexible start times, some appear at the desk at 10am, leave at 3pm. Core hours covered, on site 2 days a week. If there's a strike, stay home.

It's zero extra time at work in that case.

Of course not everyone has that situation, but it is certainly not unusual.

• Advertisement

They sound supportive and flexible to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Dont worry about the number of applicants on LinkedIn, 90% of these will be from unsuitable candidates without the relevant credentials or permits. I had a recent vacancy for an IT field service engineer in Cork, some of the prerequisite questions where "do you live in Munster and do you possess a full driving license" I had over 100 applicants that had neither.

New employer sound reasonable to be fair, if the new role is going to increase your knowledge and skillset along with CV enhancement and personal fulfilment then go for it. Make sure though that those new WFH allowances are stipulated in your contract before signing, if not, then walk away. Secondly, im not sure of the culture in Germany, but dont disclose your new salary with any colleagues and also be prepared in case your current employer makes a counter offer. Think about the reasons why you are leaving your current role, menial tasks, stagnating etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

If you do decide to take it, make sure those WFH terms are written in stone within your contract.

Or you may find that six months in, you'll be asked to come in "extra days".

I'd always be a little cautious of an employer who appears to be a little desperate. They'll say or promise anything to get you in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ella108

Hi, I'm curious now to see this Instagram channel ( I'm not on Instagram and not sure if you're allowed to share a link here)

I am on the other side of what everyone has said here due to my own unique personal experience which might no be the case for most people

I started working for a limited company few months mainly due to the fact it was just a few minutes walking distance from my home ( among other factors such as decent pay, some flexibility over the hours, and aligned with my work experience and education background etc). Therefore, I had declined several job offers (more or less same salary) arising around the same time, due to fact that my commute time would significantly impact my energy, time, work life balance an so on. ( I don't drive either, yet)

I regretted....a lot.…and as soon as I joined and it has come to a point where I have now resigned and am willing to travel any number of reasonable hours, for better working conditions. Again, these are my own unique circumstances, working for a boss with unrealistic expectations, not paying on time, and so on.....

I am grateful there's something called probation period where you get to decide whether it's working for you or not. Ofcourse these are not easy decisions and you have to consider carefully considering your own circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Sono

as a father of 2 young kids myself I would say stay in the job you’re in, money comes and goes, it’s not the most important thing, kids grow up in the blink of an eye. You can always get a better paid job when they are older and less dependent on you, the younger days of a child’s life are amazing to be there for.

Best of luck with your decision.

A big thanks to everyone who contributed in the past weeks.

I was stuck in the difficult position that if I asked for ANOTHER re-write of the contract (effectively the 3rd one, including the original) I would have missed the boat in terms of giving in my two months notice with my current employer, which would have been the end of May (to start August 1st with the new crowd). That's how things work in Germany. I have long forgotten the rules in Ireland.

I have decided to take the new job. The one I have has me bored ridged and does not really allow me the chance to apply what I studied in college (yes, I know that college qualifications alone don't guarantee one a bed of
    roses in terms of salary/career progression).

I have ample savings to fall back on if things don't pan out. You'll always miss 100% of the shots you never take.

Mod, this thread can be closed. Thanks again guys.

Advertisement