Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black and Yellow Leaves on Portuguese Laurel

Options
  • 06-05-2024 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on what might be causing black and yellow leaves on new growth of a Portuguese Laurel.

I planted them last October and watered well after planting until the usual winter rains came along. The plants seemed to have established themselves well and had no issues. Last week I noticed on all plants the new young growth turning yellow and black. The other leaves and plant seem fine with no signs of disease or holes etc.

Not sure if they need watering or the very wet weather we had so far these year has caused issues.

I gave them some multipurpose feed today and watered them so hoping that will help.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

If the black appeared in the last few days I would blame a frost we got last week. It did a lot of damage to new growth on my shrubs and trees. The plant will recover. The yellowing is more likely to be from the very wet soil we have had for weeks. Maybe the affected plants are in a damper area. Don't over feed and there was little need for water. They actually look healthy enough. Keep the base grass and weed free to avoid competition for the hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭denismc

It looks like leave burn, from frost as the other poster said or if you live near the sea it could be salt burn.

We live near the sea and nearly every year we get a strong wind coming off the sea that burns any new buds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yep no problems there really, bit of frost burn and the new growth is always a lighter colour, they'll be fine.

Advertisement