Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this require planning ?

• 06-05-2024 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Pair of semi-detached dormer bungalows. Each had 2 dormer windows to the rear like the first photograph.
    One of the houses has built a combined dormer window like the second photo.
    I presume that it needed planning permission ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭blackbox

I don't think you need planning permission for windows in the rear of the roof. Rooms need to comply with building regulations if used for anything other than storage. E.g. design of stairs, amount of headroom etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

It is my opinion that Velux type windows at the rear are exempt. Dormer type windows, front or rear, require permission.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I would say yes, planning permission required, to enlarge/combine the existing dormers and enlarge the existing dormer windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I agree as you are changing the roof profile

Even the ubiquitous in-line velux can be an issue at rear if the neighbour thinks they are over looked.

I was refused it in Fingal due to being inside,IIRC, the 22 m line for FF ( or similar)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

planning required IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Roof light correct. But dormers or roof alterations, even to the rear require planning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Either type of dormer in those photos require planning

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If I understand correctly, ones in first photo are original to the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

Original standalone windows ( 2 per house) were built with planing permission about 20 years ago.

They still required planning at some point.😁

Was pointing out that dormers are not exempt whether front or rear, traditional or contemporary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

My take would be a Section 5 request to the LA to be the first port of call as it could be argued that as they were there as 2 originally, the "streetscape", albeit to the rear, has not drastically changed to something different. No harm in asking and, at least if positive, you have it on record.

S.4.1.(h) development consisting of the carrying out of works for the maintenance,
    improvement or other alteration of any structure, being works which affect
    only the interior of the structure or which do not materially affect the external
    appearance of the structure so as to render the appearance inconsistent with
    the character of the structure or of neighbouring structures;

You could ask. No harm. But there is a clear material difference between the two imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭dathi

i wonder did the sun room need planning as it has a window to the fence side overlooking the neighbours

It needed planning, under Class 1 (6)(a).
    Whether it went for planning is a different matter

Advertisement