Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure telecom MTU setting SIRO

Options
  • 06-05-2024 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭

Hi all, had a 3rd party router set up previously with no issues

Puretelecom@puretel.ie

broadband1

Vlan10

Now I am trying to set up Tenda Nova MW6 mesh and it has the below configurable fields. Nowhere to put vlan though. Does anyone know what mtu value should be for pure telecom on SIRO?

looking through the Fritz!box logs it looks like it may be 1500. The tenda only allows values between 576 and 1492.

Post edited by DopeTech on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Try use ping
    ping domain.com -f -l 1472

-f (lwr F) = do not fragment
    -l (lwr L) = buffer size

the biggest number that report back without need of fragmentation should be fine.

Screenshot from app? Would there be more options for VLAN available if you access it from web interface ?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You're probably trying to cut down on devices, but you could just ethernet from the fritzbox to one of the tenda boxes, and let it work from there.

Or, fritzboxes are actually quite good, and you can pick up spares second hand to make your own mesh network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

PPPoE always adds an 8 byte overhead to the link, so the maximum you should set the MTU to is 1492.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

1464 seems to be the highest number. Will try that tonight. Thanks for the info.

No mention of Vlan in the mobile app and from what I read they don't have a web interface but will look into that further.

no joy with the above. Maybe someone with the mw6 units can share how they set theirs up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I am pretty sure it should be accessible from browser over IP.

app is just marketing trick, all manufacturers pushing this crap to certain degree.
    Perhaps app OK for "easy" setup wizard, but lack of "advanced" features/settings as it seem…

Nah, this particular model has no web interface. Contacted support and they confirmed no vlan support so I’ve just connected it to the Fritz!box for now. Was only cheap so when I am upgrading again I’ll do a little more research and make sure I get one with pppoe and vlan support.

Advertisement