Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people talk so much at gigs and concerts? - rte

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Because they are ignorant ****!

Next question….

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

its okay of you can move away from them

Normally when I do that I end up near someone else doing just the same. Same as when some tall fecker is standing in front of you! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

The music's not loud enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

The Snark is strong on this thread

Why I've stopping going to the cinema as well.

My unpalatable answer

Because the Irish audience in all honesty don't go anymore post oandemic to any gig / movie because of who's playing or the movie / song genre :

Its a day out. Simple as.

Have my own nice DVD collection and Dolby setup at home thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Some people are just pricks. One of the worst cases I endured was at an Overhead The Albatross gig in the Workman's. It was just after Christmas, very small room and during one of the quieter passages - two absolute fcukwits beside me, probably in their late 20's, early 30's were talking loudly about what presents they got for Christmas from their parents. Please - just f*ck off.

Covid definitely didn't help matters! It seemed to be particularly bad just afterwards. I went to see the Fureys of all people in our local town hall one night and a bunch of drunken women arrived in just before the start and settled in the second row. Bloody nightmare. Didn't help that they headed out to the bar at the interval, there were a lot of people ready to hit them on the way out. I was speaking the following week to someone who works there and who hadn't been in that night. He thought they were taking the piss when they told him there had been so many complaints about the Fureys gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Yeah, it varies from gig to gig. At Øxn and Adrienne Lenker this year in Vicar Street, both incredibly respectful crowds, could hear a pin drop. But sure, plenty of people still going to gigs that don't get it and never will. The less we'll known the artist, the better the chance that it's real fans and there to listen. The big ones, forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Was at Tom Robinson last week and he was pretty quick to call out the chatters and shut them up quickly, which I think is the best approach. Shouldn't be up to the artist though.

Talk all you like at an SLF gig though, no-ones gonna hear :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

The 50th anniversary episode of Doctor Who coincided with Eirtakon (now defunct anime con), Eirta decided to hold a screening in one of the bigger panel rooms, the episode started and some twat in the front row started whooping loudly, I was under the weather and in a foul mood so I screamed "shut the fcuk up!", there wasnt one peep from anyone else during the screening, thank fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Boooourns

At Roisin Murphy in the Trinity gig a group of about 6 women just chatted the whole way through, what was the point of going.

Was asked by some posh woman to stop dancing at a gig once, I laughed my head off as I carried on. (I wasn't blocking her view as there was loads of room, she stood there like a plank of wood)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

Event junkies on a night out. No interest in the band. Just want to get pissed chat and tell all their friends via Instagram they're at a gig.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It's definitely worse post pandemic, wish those dickheads would just go to a pub instead and leave gigs to those who don't want to listen to their inane bullshit over good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,442 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

it started creeping into gigs in a very noticeable way about 8-10 years ago and getting worse.

The demographic most responsible from what I’ve experienced but obviously not exclusively responsible are about 18-30 year olds.

It’s like they cannot contemplate experiencing a nice event / show / evening without moving their mouths. Even during quieter songs it doesn’t matter to them.

I suppose these particular age groups are relentlessly for whatever reason encouraged and mollycoddled to ‘talk’ ‘talk’ ‘talk’… constantly talking in person or face buried in a phone….

Advertisement