Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car options for €20,000 budget

Options
  • 07-05-2024 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30 Badger242

Hi All,

I'm looking for recommendations for a used EV options for my brother. His commute is 175km round trip on mostly national roads. He would need to have about another 80-100 km range in the battery when he gets home for errands, picking up kids, etc. He works 4 day on, 4 day off, on shift work so won't be able to avail of the cheapest night rates. Even so, with an estimated 40,000 km mileage per year, I did a back of the envelope calculation and between fuel and tax he would save almost €3,000 per year with home charging. The decision to go EV versus another diesel will be totally based on the financial benefits.

Key attributes he is looking for.

1. Price
    2. Range
    3. Reliability (some warranty would be nice, although with his mileage he will max out even the Kia and Hyundai warranties in a few years)

He has a budget of about €20,000. My shortlist is as follows;

-Kona 64kw

-Eniro 64kw

Other possibilities

-ID.3 58kw (Would it have the range?)

-ID.3 82kw (May come into budget over coming months)

-Leaf 62kw (Not sure about buying a CHAdeMO charger?)

Any one have any thought or other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Miscreant

If you're adding the Kona and Niro to the list, you may as well add in the Kia Soul EV too. Bigger than the Kona and has the same 64kWh battery and drivetrain. Criminally overlooked IMHO as they are a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

id3 should have the range even in 58kwh but on cold days it may be tight to get 275kms sometimes. He could adjust his driving style to suit. He will be fine most of the time but might get caught out. I would wait for the higher range one to come into budget to be honest.

There is a poster here looking at selling one actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Badger242

Good shout. I had a look on DoneDeal and there are a few in budget. Possibly overlooked due to their unique/divisive style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭fafy

The ID3 tour, should be around 20k soon enough, a 2021 Tour, went up today for 23.5k, and owner has been trying to sell it off and on, for more than a year, you should get one for less than that price, as dealers have been offering sub 20k on 2021 ID3 Tour Trade ins.

There will only be general car warranties left on Kia’s (7 years)and Hyundai’s(5 years), 2021 Id3 warranties all cease in 2024 with no warranty extension possible.

Battery warranty is 8 years, but its only the battery in most if not all cases.

Thanks for that. The idea of getting caught short on range, even if rarely, could be a deal breaker for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭User1998

2019 Tesla Model 3 is another option which you might just get within budget.

I double checked your figures and yes there is potential to save around €3,000 in fuel if using standard day rate of electricity but if he wants 100km remaining after a 175k km commute then I can almost guarantee he will be publicly charging quite a bit especially in Winter which will be costly and inconvenient and will eat into fuel savings.

Not to be a scaremongering but lets not forget the potential repair costs of an out of warranty EV too which could wipe out any fuel savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭fits

the ID.3 Tour would be ideal. Heaps of range and spec and it’s very comfortable to drive distances with lumbar support and massage seats etc. I’m selling one but gfmv is a good way over 20k so he’d need to beat that at least. Might be better off with the lower mileage one posted today if he’s doing that sort of mileage but it’s out of warranty now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Just on the Leaf, you mentioned not wanting to have a Chademo charger. But you can just get an untethered one and then it's just a change of cable if he changes the car later.

A few comments above raised my eyebrows. If a public charge is needed, it would be very small, maybe a fiver for 10kWh on a 22-50kW charger at most whenever needed. But the outline suggests he'll be coming home with maybe 30-35kWh used (17-20kWh/100km) which would be a 5 hour charge. So car topped back up before he's finished his sleep and the 100km comes before he heads to work and another option to recharge for an hour or two before he goes.

I may be off on the work/errands schedule, but it seems to me that there are opportunities to top up the car during the day before he heads off to work again. So the range requirement may not actually be 275km at all.

As for the "repair bills" these are always possible, but data suggests that this is much less on EVs than on ICE cars. And if he goes for a Kia or Hyundai, the majority in the price range will still be well in warranty. Also I know from a friend who has one that the Kona will get you 460 in the summer if you keep it under 95kph. This would be no bother on a commute on national roads only. If you go above that speed, he says 425. Still well above the requirement.

Edit: 2021 Kia E-Soul for 21.5k very low mileage

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-soul-e-soul-k3-my2021-5dr-auto/34277637

A 2020 Kona with low mileage for under 22k. Lots of choice around 20k.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-kona-2020/36776059

Post edited by prawnsambo on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭pah

Biggest challenge for him will be change of driving style to get the best out of the battery.

I don't think he'll need to. Or should. I haven't changed mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’d assume he doesn’t want the hassle of having a CHADEMO and looking for a fast charger. You’d want to be mad to get a car with CHADEMO , less and less fast chargers available. The resale will be awful , as would long journeys , plenty of week priced CCS cars out there

He specifically referenced buying a Chademo charger. I pointed out that this isn't actually a problem.

And I'm curious about the "less and less fast chargers available". They are still being installed. Latest being in the Carrickmines hub. Where are Chademo fast chargers being removed?

CHADEMO is DC.

You don’t get a CAHDEMO charger at home , you get a Type 1 charger. So we’ll assume that he’s referring to public charging.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think you are spot on with the Kona, you should be able to pick up a 2019 64 Kona for mid teens which will give you real world range of around 380kms now so plenty of life left and no range anxiety

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions.

In terms of public charging, he would need it very rarely and not on a usual commute day. They have a second diesel car for longer family trips. On a typical day he would charge at home, travel 175 km to and from work, and arrive home with charge in the battery for the daily tasks. Prawnsambo made a good point that he could start charging when he gets home, so in reality the required range might be less that 275 km (important for winter range drops).

I'll let him decide whether the CHAdeMO fast charging would be an issue for him. We have a 2015 24 kW Leaf and have nothing but good things to say about it. However, it is only a city runaround so we never need fast charging.

I had considered an older Model 3, but current prices are still a good bit above budget.

The Kona and Eniro probably top contenders based on warranty/price/range. The ID.3 is also a strong contender in the bigger battery format. The Leaf is a great car and some are well priced and the Model 3 as a possibility.

The above list should give him some direction on what to keep an eye out for.

Every app is showing an equal number of Chademo and CCS connectors on that hub. Plugshare and eCars specifically checked. This is just the top of the list on Plugshare, you scroll down for more. All the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

Something else to consider is that he could just charge the car when he gets home. Unless he's straight out the door again after getting home even an hour charge would probably give enough to cover any extra travel easily on something like a 58kw/h ID3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ratracer

is that advertised somewhere? I’m not sure I’m gone on the colour, but it ticks every other box! 🤔

This has been a very informative thread. I’m almost convinced to get a second hand EV as our second car, to try it out. Have solar, so might as well try to reduce one diesel cost!

• Advertisement

I’m not sure where he advertises them

His details are here: www.joel.ie

Post edited by ted1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

When was a Kona 48K new?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Both these posts have incorrect info.

The Leaf of any year is CHAdeMO. Yes, its DC fast charging and yes, there are still plenty around, but I would avoid a Leaf for frequent long distance journeys especially when the 62kWh version represents poor value for money.

The Leaf from 2018 or newer comes with type 2 charging port. Not type 1. No need to get untethered home charger.

Stay Free

so regardless, CHAEDMO relates to fast charging and not A domestic charger ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Yes, but only the older Leafs had the type 1 AC ports. The face-lift model came with type 2 ports.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RodVelvet

I don't like the blocky look of the e-Soul but do you reckon there would be much wiggle room on the price which might make the looks more palatable? 😂

I'd expect so. There are a few around and as time goes on, the prices will drop anyway. Certainly could get a grand off if not more if you're prepared to walk away.

And yeah, it has a face only a mother could love. 😂

Edit: Weird that if you search just for cars in that price range, the one I link doesn't turn up, but the link I posted still works.

Edit 2: If you don't use the make/model search and just enter 'soul' in the search bar, you get a good few more including the one I linked.

Here's a 2020 model with low mileage for under 20k

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-soul-e-soul-k3-lr-5dr-auto/36929834

And a 2021 model with 50k on it for less than 19k. Seems suspiciously low, but maybe it's the mileage.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-e-soul-k3-auto-full-electric-long-range-450km/36740903

Post edited by prawnsambo on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ratracer

So obviously with an ICE car, if I’m looking for a used car I’d be primarily focussed on mileage and service history.
    What are the key factors to look for when considering a used BEV? What mileage is too high?

After looking at a few different models over the weekend, we’ve decided that the ID.3 is probably our favourite out there, so will look for a good deal as a cash buy over the next month or two. It’ll be a second car for the house, still keeping my Superb also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭fits

for the ID.3 check that the software is on latest version 3.2. You can also check if the car is subject to any recalls. I can’t think of anything else at present. Maybe ask on ID.3 thread. Get as high a spec as you can as well. Car basically drove me to Dublin this morning with travel assist.

Advertisement