Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to build a small drainage system at the end of a garden patio

Options
  • 07-05-2024 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I have just removed an old decking at the back of the house and want to replace it with a patio but I am concerned about drainage of the water coming from the patio, here is what I have:
    The land goes down (slowly) at the back of the house and is therefore below the level of the house so any excess water could potentially end at the end of the garden. We have had a decking there for many years and the worse has been this year where the garden below was water logged but with a patio none of the water will be absorbed below so I am concerned it will all go down.
    The patio will be about 4meters in length.
    The nearest rain water drain will be above the bottom of the patio so I could not use it.
    I was thinking of digging a trench of about 40cms in width by 50cms deep all the way along the patio and filled with stones to ease the sieving into the ground.

Does anyone know if this should work or have any advise?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

That will work perfectly, bring the stone fill all the way to the surface and finish it with decorative stone

• Registered Users Posts: 33 oli26

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You want to wrap the stones in a non-woven geotextile fabric to stop dirt from filling in the gaps in the stones and blocking it up. You can leave the covered stones 1 inch shy of the desired finish level and then cover with 1 inch of loose stones for decorative effect.

Depending on appetite you could put a solid perforated pipe in the bottom of the drain, connect that to a non perforated solid pipe and then run that to the existing drain, then you know you are getting the water off your property.

Advertisement