Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchase Double Glaze - Glass Only

• 07-05-2024 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there's anywhere in Ireland that actually will just take measurements and provide double glazed window panes? I've one or small panes that have failed and am considering just doing it myself but everywhere I've googled is the entire window unit and fitting etc. Glass only is all UK based that I see.

Surely somewhere does it with all the small windows installers in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, glass-only repairs are performed by every glazier in the country. Just find your local glass/window repair shop and ask them to measure/order/install it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭blackbox

Do the local glaziers install new desiccant. I've heard of replacements fogging up after only a couple of years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You would have to ask specifically as some make-up the insulated units themselves in the shop. Others buy from the main manufacturers' here - Carey glass and Diamond glass, so you should get the same quality of glass as originally fitted. The thing is that one small window mightn't be enough to trigger an order off the large manufacturers, but you can tell as both Carey and Diamond have glass stamps on the bottom of the glass units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,125 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I used FirstGlass in Ballycoolin (near Blanch) for my bespoke triple glazed units. They were well priced and great to deal with.

I was building my own frames but I can't imagine it's much different with retrofitting. Obvs you need to make sure the thickness is right for your frames.

Advertisement