Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do My Aviva Car Insurance up in July 2024 a claim was made against me for Car Damage €2300

Options
  • 08-05-2024 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hello to all my car insurance is up in July 2024 a claim was made in march 2024 and paid out by my my insurance Aviva for €2300 Car damage only there was no one in the car I hit that was illegal parked obstructing my driveway & parked up on the path my insurance still paid out how much will my insurance go up this year because of this I was paying €480 euros last year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

Hard to say.Full no claims bonus record? The claim will stay on your record for 5 years,some companies for 6 years.Shop around if increased.A new insurance company will want a statement from Aviva explaining if your renewal was loaded because of the claim.You can start shopping around when you get your renewal quote or I think it's 28-30 days before your policy is due for renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭con747

I'm not sure the fact the car was illegally parked makes any difference but the only option I see is to start looking for quotes now online giving ALL the facts and see what comes back. It's a how long is a piece of string question IMO.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

The advantage you have is that at least the claim was settled (remarkably quickly in my opinion) so that you can at least shop around. If the claim was still open you'd be stuck with Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You're entitled to move a vehicle which is blocking your entrance. But only 'by human propulsion' - not by hitting it with your own car. Not suggesting you did it deliberately but the other guy had a legitimate claim against you.

113.—(1) A person shall not, without lawful authority or reasonable cause, interfere or attempt to interfere with the mechanism of a mechanically propelled vehicle while it is stationary in a public place, or get on or into or attempt to get on or into the vehicle while it is so stationary.
    (2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) of this section shall be guilty of an offence.
    (3) Where a member of the Garda Síochána has reasonable grounds for believing that a person is committing an offence under this section, he may arrest the person without warrant.
    (4) This section shall not apply to a person taking, in relation to a mechanically propelled vehicle which is obstructing his lawful ingress or egress to or from any place, such steps as are reasonably necessary to move the vehicle by human propulsion for a distance sufficient to terminate the obstruction.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/113/enacted/en/html#sec113

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It might not be illegal to move it by human propulsion but they can still claim off you if you damage it when moving it.

Not that it matters as the OP hit a stationary vehicle so is 100% liable.

@Lord Baron Lane 8 How much it goes up depends on lots of factors, but since you've lost your NCD it'll go up by at least what ever amount that was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

they can't claim off your car insurance if you move it manually. And how are they going to know who moved it? Someone else in your household or a visitor could have moved it because their car was blocked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If you damage property by moving it manually, your motor insurance policy doesn't come in to play. If you have any other form of personal liability cover (on your household insurance, for instance), that won't respond either, as liability policies exclude deliberate actions,

Advertisement