Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

nct

• 08-05-2024 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi there, my car went for NCT yesterday had a few problems brought to mechanic this morning and they said they never heard of one. The steering linkage, steering system; relative movement between components which should be fixed. The fail sheet also says track rod ends need to be fixed could this be two bird and one stone? Ones the track rod ends are fixed would it fix the other problem or is it completely different the mechanic said he never heard of that in his life

Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭User1998

The description and location is the same so I’d imagine if you just replace the track rods it will pass on both failures. Replace the actual track rods not just the dust cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

May be new phrasing, it just means there's play in the joint on the track rod end, which lines up with the boot being split and dirt getting in causing play over time.

Ask your mechanic to give a wiggle and pull on the inner rod when he's changing the outers just to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

The visual worn tie rod is the favourite nct bullshit imaginary fail. Give them a wipe down and send it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I don't see why your mechanic is having a problem with this. It's fairly clear to me. Nearside dust cover is damaged. Both track rod ends have play in them. Replace both T/R ends which will have new dust covers. Job done.

Advertisement