Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prenatal testing for AMA pregnancy (aged 44!)

Options
  • 08-05-2024 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Asking here for a close friend! She's clearly quite old and therefore there's a high risk of lots of things going wrong. That's accepted by all concerned.

The big question is this - is it almost a given that an amnio test will be recommended at some point because of her age and that this is probably the best diagnostic test for detecting abnormalities?

The background here is that she's just been offered the Harmony NIPT test, but from the research I've done on it, it's likely not going to tell her anything she doesn't already know. If the test result indicates a high risk of some condition (as expected), then she'll probably have to get an amnio later on. But even if the test indicates a low risk (unlikely I'm guessing), I think she'll opt for an amnio anyway just to be sure because of her age.

In short, I can see the NIPT test being really helpful for younger expectant mothers, so that they can avoid the risk of an amnio, but for much older expectant mothers, the risk of an amnio is tiny really compared to the background risk of a miscarriage etc. I'm getting the impression that the NIPT test will just create stress and worry, rather than relieve it.

Am I missing something maybe?!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

My thoughts (and not an expert in any way) is that if the NIPT test came back clear then there would be no need for an amnio therefore reducing the risk of miscarriage from an amnio. Harmony is 99% accurate for Down Syndrome.

My last baby was born when I was 40 and when the Harmony came back clear I didn't even consider an amnio.

Advertisement