Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Constant issues with car I bought just under a year ago, where do I stand?

Options
  • 08-05-2024 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Would anyone be able to offer any advice on my situation? I bought an automatic 2011 vw golf from a dealership last May with what I was told a 2 year warranty. I still never received any documents after asking them a few times and I just eventually stopped asking.

The day after I bought it, one of the fuel injectors went. They fixed it themselves and gave me one of their cars to drive. After this, between May and September my car was back up with them another 3 times to have things fixed. Though they were minor things, it was very inconvenient after spending 10k on this car. I will say though, two of those minor things caused my car to go into limp mode twice in the middle of the motorway and I was luckily able to get onto the hard shoulder without causing any accidents.

Since September all is going well until last week, it is now having issues with the gearbox. The gearbox stopped working as I was in the middle of the road! Had to get AA out and they towed me to the nearest garage. Talking to the garage today and they asked me if I ever had issues with the gearbox as they noticed the gearbox has been reprogrammed twice. I’m now thinking did the dealership do something to it before they sold it to me? Or is there another reason why it might have been reprogrammed?

The cost of fixing it will be about 2-2.5k which after spending 10k on an already 12 year old car I’m fairly annoyed but also stressed the hell out! This will be the 5th issue in less than a year after buying this car. I’m going to contact the dealership tomorrow and see what they say and whether or not I’m covered.

At this point I’m also trying to see where I stand with just handing the car back and getting my money back! I truly believe something funny is going on and I’ve been sold a car really not fit for purpose. I’m going to contact consumer protection tomorrow and see where I stand with this, but any advice in the mean time while I wait for them all to reopen again tomorrow?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Whocare

A 2 year warranty on 2011 golf that can't be right . we're you stand off road in grass watching traffic pass be my guess

Only recently bought pickup 3 months warranty which was over 21k

Best you can hope for is them fix it great warranty if 2 years

Post edited by Whocare on

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mk7r

The car is 14 years old, it's going to have some issues unfortunately. If it's the dsg gearbox the mechatronics unit is well known to fail on them (guaranteed to fail actually) but the good news is they are generally very reliable once repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Luna84

What engine is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ali1993

yes it’s a dsg, good to hear it’s reliable once fixed though!

1.6 tdi

• Advertisement

1.6 tdi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Whocare

Whatever you do take car back to garage you bought it from ASAP. As 3part garage you got tow to there Absolutely no hope if thay fix it that garage you bought car from there going to pay them for repairs

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

In exactly the same situation as you and tbh I'm just going to cut my losses on this one. Luckily everything that's gone wrong has been covered under warranty but I no sooner get one thing fixed when something else goes. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭goochy

Surprised thought it might be Japan import

Advertisement