Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaping in house / car

Options
  • 08-05-2024 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,950 ✭✭✭✭

A fairly frequent visitor to my home has been vaping in my house and vaping in my car. They never asked permission and I don’t smoke ever.

When I pulled them up on it, they went on a rant.

Does anyone wise have an issue with guests vaping in their homes/ cars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Is it a guest you’ve invited over or is it someone else’s and you’re in a house share?

If you’ve invited them, tell them it’s not allowed in your home and if they’ve a problem with it, tell them to leave. There’s not much more you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Your house, your car, your rules. No means no. Otherwise show them the door

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Can you clarify, OP, please, what aspect of the situation, you are seeking advice on?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,950 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It’s a guest (family member) that comes over frequently and it’s an ongoing issue.

Asking advice hue to manage tactfully and if I’m being out of order expecting them not to vape.

I challenged them in the car and their response was that it was a 4 hour journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Not as bad as smoking but still, your car and house, your rules. Go outside and vape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Firstly OP your not out of order. My house/car my rules should be respected by anyone entering either. I would just be clear with them that vaping in the house or car is not allowed you don't like it. If that bothers them they're the problem not you. Why can't they go outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stop every hour to let them vape on the car journey and tell them to go outside when at home. If that doesn't work stop bringing then to your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Jafin

As a vaper I am 100% on your side. It's your house and your rules. I never, ever vape inside someone else's property unless they have given me express permission. If I want a vape I always get up and say I'm going out for a vape. If they say that I can vape inside then I will, but I never even ask them first, I only do it if they're first to mention it.

Explain to the family member that it's not allowed and they will have to go outside. As for car journeys, as the poster above me mentioned offer to stop for a couple of minutes every hour or so so they can get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭YellowLead

They are completely in the wrong here.
    Side note - if you are just tolerating their visit because they are family, consider not letting them. If they behave awfully they deserve a no.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Honestly that shouldn't need to be explained or spelled out. You might just have to stand your ground.

If I cared about this person, I'd offer a middle ground. No vaping in the house, go out to the terrace or patio I'll go with you even. 4 hour car journey, sure I need to take a break anyway lets stop half way for a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

It is quite tragic that they can't cope without their fix, but seriously please keep standing your ground here. They can pop outside for a smoke, surely. That has been the norm for cigarette smokers since the smoking ban.

I can't get over some smokers who demand to be allowed smoke inside a house owned by non-smokers. The cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Can't stand vaping. Current research suggests it will lead to new types of cancers. The amount of smoke/mist, whatever it is, the vape produces is crazy and to think it's inside someone's lungs is alarming to me.

I've had many arguments with family members over it. I will not have it in my house or near me anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,950 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was just surprised and it was more about how it happened rather than what happened. Basically they put their head into their handbag and must have been vaping - I was driving and then I saw a cloud of smoke / mist or whatever it is. My first reaction was - you should not be doing that in the car - to which they replied - it was a long journey (4 hours but we made stops)

Anyway, next time I will handle it by saying - let me know if you want to stop for a break.

I think the perception by the person is that while smoking is not ok in the house, vaping is. I'm of the opinion that we dont know yet what comes with vaping and I certainly dont want to be breathing in that air!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Madd002

Vaping like smoking is also banned in pubs/restaurants as I seen the signs, but not all adhere to them. Was in bar where we were having lunch and a few were Vaping and drinking at a high table beside us/door everytime someone came in the breeze would blow the smell of the raspberry/strawberry flavour towards us, absolutely rotten put us off eating altogether. So yes I would ask that family member to do it outside and definitely not in your car as who knows what second hand chemicals their emitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Tork

Is there something wrong with this person by any chance? Trying to hide their vaping while sitting right beside the driver of the car they're travelling in is very odd indeed. It's the sort of thing a young child would do and you'd excuse that on the basis of them being so young. Leaving that aside, they knew they were in the wrong because they were trying to hide it from you. They are the one on the back foot here, even if you can't see it. If they want to vape when visiting your house, they can do what every other smoker and vaper does in the same situation - they get up and go outside for their fix. On a car journey, asking to stop for a few minutes should be no big deal for anybody.

I think a lot of people are uneasy about vaping and the 2nd hand vapour from them. The sickly vapour from some of the flavours seems to hang in the air for a lot longer than cigarette smoke. Whether it's harmful or not, we simply don't know yet. You're well within your rights to put your foot down.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Whether it's harmful or not, we simply don't know yet. You're well within your rights to put your foot down.

There is plenty of evidence pointing towards significant increases in the risk of both cancers and cardiac problems

Advertisement