Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Service contract (extended warranty ?) for EV.

• 08-05-2024 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭

hi all,

Is there such a thing available on the market?
    For example if I was looking to pick up an 8 year old model s but I wanted the reassurance of an extended warranty (I think they have to be called service contracts) on the battery and drivetrain for example, is such a thing possible?
    After 8 years (or 240k kms) the manufacturer warranty expires- there’s less kms on this car but it’s 8 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭User1998

No that service does not exist in Ireland for private customers. Not for an 8 year old car anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

That’s crazy.
    I honestly don’t understand why this isn’t a service that is offered especially on EVs with regards to battery’s motors and drivetrains.
    It would inspire confidence in the second hand market imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Because you and I and everyone else would want it for as cheap as possible and the risk for the company providing the warranty is either unquantifiable or just too damn risky.

If there's market and money to be made on providing them, somebody would do it. They don't care about the used market.

You can't really get one for an ICE car or a fridge or a washing machine at that age either can you?

I’m not sure tbh but I’m not potentially in the market for any of those that you mention.

I'd take it up too at the right price, I've an EV coming out of general warranty in July 25 and another in sept 25. Battery warranties run until 2030 so not thinking of that just yet, not sure if I'll have the cars at that point but you're right a warranty after age 8 would help resale

Just nobody yet thinks they can profit from it. With critical mass in the future maybe somebody will.

• Advertisement

As a private buyer you can get one from Car Protect for cars under 8 years old. If purchased through a dealer they can be got for cars up to 12 year old. Mapfre also do them but they are dealer only.

I’ve no idea if they cover EV’s tho. I’d imagine they are only for petrol/diesel.

Edit: Yes, all EV and hybrid components are excluded from Car Protect.

https://quote.carprotect.ie/documents/car-protect-warranty-booklet.pdf

Are they any use? I've never bothered before with my cars they were generally older and almost disposable such was their low values, sell on easy. The EVs are worth a few quid, although falling by the day!

Just updated my post. EV’s and hybrids are excluded. People have mixed opinions on them. They wouldn’t cover a €2000 oil leak in my Range Rover.

Maybe I should be asking how much would it cost to replace a battery pack and/or a motor on a model S?
    Worst case scenario planning etc.

Advertisement