Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To go or not to go back to college?

Options
  • 08-05-2024 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I graduated from NUIG with a Bachelor of Arts Degree International in 2014 (Spanish and Geography).

After final year I went straight to full-time work.

I'm currently working in a medical device company (nothing to do with my degree).

I'm 32 and feeling very lost.

I'm thinking of going back to college and I am thinking about a few options:

1. Secondary School teaching.

My concern with this is it is a 2 year course. I have heard it is getting a permanent job in teaching and you have to move around alot.

2. PostGraduate course -Enterprise Systems.

I'm enjoying working in the medical device company but I would like to move further up the ladder.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hontou

You are possibly working in one of the best industries to be in at the moment in Ireland. However, this is what I recommend: Train as a second level teacher with Hibernia. Most schools are looking for language teachers, and Spanish is increasingly popular. Geography teachers are not in demand as much but there is a new leaving cert subject called Sustainability on the way (I think) and you may be able to teach that with your Geography degree (you may have to do further study). With Hibernia, you can do it mostly by distance learning and you should be able to fit it around your shifts in the medical device company. Then you will have the choice to go into teaching or try subbing while still doing shifts in the medical device company. I am a teacher and my husband and son work in medical device companies. The money is quite good in your area and there are promotional possibilities for those with good work ethic. As for the post grad in Enterprise Systems - check with your current company if it would give you an edge. Be careful of doing postgrads that don't lead to anything specific. Good luck.

Advertisement