Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2024 Transfer Window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Romano definitely gets insider info from agents to promote their agendas along with getting the exclusives from them on other transfers. He would be a decent back up to Salah for low wages and a low transfer fee.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Wrong thread..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Romano is pretty reliable for what he is, which is more often a reliable news aggregator, rather than an Ornstein style news breaker.

There are allegations that he has offered his services to clubs, in exchange for payment of course. If a club was going to sell a player in the future, he would start to promote the players in order for the selling club to receive a bigger transfer fee. Which alot of people are obviously not happy with. Which is legal but it's a bit....false. directly profiting from lies that he makes up himself.

EG this video

And then there is the shameless promotion of the likes of Mason Greenwood, although there is a few English journalists like Simon Stone doing the same there. They are being paid to whitewash his image the last 12-18 months with favourable updates and match reports to make him look like a reformed character.

Palace spending their Guehli (and Olise) money on Eddie Nekitah and Joe Gomez by the looks of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They have taken in alot over the last few seasons and not spent much so definitely room to spend and they look to be a pretty established premier league club now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Brighton’s spending made me think there may be a big bid in for Ferguson but waiting until this week to go through medical and other formalities. But that’s probably reading too much into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Lauras Law

"here we go!"

So that's Ugarte confirmed for United. 50 million fixed fee is not a bad piece of business by the United considering PSG were originally insisting on 60 million upfront. Also with McTominay on his way to Italy, it's essentially €20 million for what should be a major upgrade in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

From a PSR perspective it's actually better as the MCT fee is pure profit and Ugartes fee will be amortised over the length of the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ETH can't say he wasn't backed anyway. That must be the guts of 600m in signings since he came in.

I mean, even without that, I could see why he annoys people, but he is pretty reliable in terms of the transfer accuracy of what he reports.

€243m, €202m & €165m (and now Ugarte €50m+) on incomings in 3 seasons.

Handy when you copy other people's work alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i'm pretty certain romano had a here we go for dybala to fenerbache. that deal then fell through which happens.

i wouldn't really care but instead of acknowledging the deal fell through he deleted his here we go for dybala.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

Who's work did he copy yesterday? He seemed to be the first to report Liverpool's interest in Chiesa

1 example. He's bound to get some localised Italian info from agents given his style.

What about the thousands of other deals he reports 5 mins after people like Ornstein or local journos?

He’s claiming to be exclusive on Bajcetic loan anyway. I think he’s starting to become a hybrid of news aggregator and news breaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

1 example from the last 24 hours. Its nonsense to suggest that all he does is copy other peoples work when I literally have an example from yesterday which proves otherwise.

If you want me to look, Im sure I'll be able to find other transfers from the past week that he reported first and werent from Italian clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Lauras Law

But you have to remember that ten Hag and INEOS are rebuilding a squad that was completely mismanaged by the Glazers and Ed Woodward. Yes, there's big pressure this year and he'll be expected to deliver Champions League football. But EtH has already won the FA Cup and League Cup prior to this summer's spending. For context, after winning the title in 2020, Klopp went on to spend 493 million (source: transfermarkt) upgrading one of the best teams in Europe and all he won was the FA Cup and League Cup(x2).

For me, a successful season for United this year will be a top 4 finish in the league and win the Europa League.

• Advertisement

Rebuilding a squad inherited from the Glazers, but also re-building from the managers own choices. it's been a staple for many clubs over the last few years, Man Utd are not a special case. Many clubs re-buy players in the same position and often under the same manager within a small timeframe. Arteta brought in Gabriel Jesus and then replaced him with Havertz. Spurs with Richarlison and then Solanke, Chelsea with Sterling & Neto. Malacia with Mazraoui, Casemiro with Ugarte etc.

Yeah Liverpool spent that amount of right, which on it's own looks a very high number. A couple of league challenges thrown in, a CL final and 3 trophy wins in the 4 seasons following alright. A decent return, but again when compared to money spent it looks low. But we are living in a world of Man City and their, well 115 charges and how legitimately the other trophies were acquired.

For reference, here is what the other clubs have spent in the same time period (permanent deals only), compared to transfer gross spend. And it looks a whole lot different. A totally different picture is painted.

Of course, I would much rather Liverpool's gross spend be higher. And I don't mean spending for spending sake which a lot of clubs and fans seem to clamber for, but more buying 1 extra player every other season. I think Liverpool have fallen short in a couple of title charges because they were 1 player short in the squad at some point in the season. 20-21 missing a CB, then in 21-22 they missed that extra attacker that came too late in Diaz in January which drove the team on again with enthusiasm. 22-23 just fell apart with mass injuries after Christmas and ran out of steam.

Given that there is a new manager in place this season, you would expect him to be lathen with big expensive 'new toy' signings for him to play with, but they aren't there. Everyone wants a midfielder in, and then personally I would look to be bringing in a LB & CB with succession planning in mind, and then after that something similar with RW as the drop off from Salah to Doak is far too great. Are we 4 players short? No, I don't think so. But we definitely are 1 or 2 short, again. Slot will be working with a team that is entirely inherited, he's hasn't even been given the gift of a new player to work with, yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Excellent post.

Its something that is often lost when rival fans are looking from the outside in on Utds situation.

The base you are starting from as a manager is so important.

Sure there has been money spent but the level of damage that requires undoing at the club is so deep that it's still nowhere near enough. It will take another couple of seasons and 100s of million more to be league challengers/ eventual winners

ETH did not have people around him helping out with the recruitment side of things for season 1 and 2. Utd have been operating like a club from the 90s/00s for the last 10 years still. The club stood still but worse it put people who weren't up to the task in control like Woodward.

ETH made some costly mistakes during that period that needs to be corrected as well unfortunately

While smaller clubs have gotten the structure behind the scenes right over the last decade and have spent their money in a far more measured way and as a result overtaken Utd on the pitch. Utd are now in catch up mode and that costs money.

INEOS thankfully seem to be willing to try and correct the football structure above the manager.

If ETH made mistakes with his recruitment in years 1 & 2, then why did the new footballing structure above him then allow him to chose some of the new recruits in year 3? Especially after ETH was close to the sack in the summer. Or is it year 4 of ETH's reign before this comes into place properly as it will be year 2 of the new football structure. And that is if he makes it to year 4.

IMO, a manager or head coach, should have nowhere near the primary voice when it comes to recruitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

So to sum up:

Chelsea bought Lukaku from Anderlecht for €15m

Sold him to Everton for €35m

Bought him from Inter for €113m

And now sold him to Napoli for €30m

In the end (assuming they don't buy him again!) he made 59 appearances for Chelsea with 15 goals and 2 assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Caustic

Who said they allowed him no one reported that,.people need to stop seeing **** that doesn't exist he said himself in interviews that de light wasn't his suggestion he was also not first choice for united,. Mazraoui is just a cheap good full back available for what we could sell awb for, people have really fallen hook line and sinker for the ex ten hagg links media driven stuff.

Its very obvious how different united business is this summer even in the amount of deals going on in and out and prices and reported wages age profiles etc.

So if you are denying this change you aren't paying close attention or in denial tbh

Yes, after seeing ETH sign his ex-players (Martinez, Antony, Onana, Amrabat) when ETH had such a prominent role in recruitment in his first 2 seasons at the club, as well as failed bids for some other ex-players (Hojbjerg, Arnautovic), I am the one that has fallen hook, line & sinker for this 'media line' of ETH signing his old players. It's meerly just a coincidence that Man Utd bought 2 ex-players of ETH this summer, again, in De Ligt & Mazraoui.

I've no doubt that there is change in the structure and have said so, but by allowing the head coach to still have such a prominent voice in recruitment, it hasn't changed enough IMO. Especially when that head coach was so close to being sacked during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

And almost 200million changing hands.... Huge amount of 'Agents fees' and miscellaneous costs involved here in sure.

Dodgy as fvck.

• Advertisement

De Ligt has been on the radar for Utd since he was at Ajax. As a club we've always been interested.

He was available this summer due to the situation at Bayern. The same situation meant Mazraoui was available. The deals make sense. 

Now I'm sure ETH was asked for his opinion on the players especially when he has hands on experience with them. But I don't think ETH brought De Ligt and Mazraoui up to the new recruitment team and they said " Sure Erik, you know best". Which is what I think did happen before.

So I don't see an issue?

If it was some obscure Ajax player who we had never heard of then sure but ETH or no ETH I think Utd sign De Ligt if he becomes available any summer and wants the move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Caustic

I won't get into a long discussion here about it as people seem to hate united getting talked about outside of its own thread but yes you have fallen hook line and sinker for it, I wouldn't feel too bad as again many have, sure there are a few players onana and anothy he wanted but ones that don't fit the narrative get cast aside and Amrabat one is silly for many reasons, and as i said about de ligt the manger himself has came out and said he didn't pick him and here you are claiming he did that's how much you want the media narrative to be real. If you fancy discussing it more it depth we can do it on the united thread but needles to say many of your assumptions and assertions are tenuous at best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

What make you think it was all ETHs signings this summer.? Anything to have a dig at United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

In fairness, 2 former Ajax player and a dutch kid i think he worked with at Bayern. It isn't a massive streatch to make such a conclusion. Maybe its wrong, but it is certainly understandable.

Personally I think De Ligt and Mazraoui were signings the club and the manager did properly agree on. Maybe De Ligt got a bit higher on the agreed list due to EtH. I think if we had got Brantwaithe (a club target, imo) we would not have got De Ligt. I think the club also planned on having Todibo as back up to Brantwaithe. So De Ligt maybe 4th choice? Plus, going into the summer I reckon the club would have thought the transfer fee demanded by Bayern and contract demanded by De Ligt would have been higher than they ended up being - so the deal becoming more affordable may have pushed him up the list as much as any familiarity EtH had.

I also think Zirkzee was a club target - good profile, young, and with a very favourable Release Clause.

I also think Ugarte was a club target - and I've read/heard elsewhere that EtH would have preferred to keep McTominay and bring in a cheaper DM (Amrabat an option) than sell McT to bring in Ugarte.

Yoro I am sure was a club target.

Kona/Obi-Martin as two younger, but more profiled singings also club signings imo.

I didn't say every transfer this summer was his choice. But some were, or he at the least had very significant voice in the matter. As he had in previous summers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Arsenal have finally unveiled Merino. He's going to be a terrific addition to the squad. We really need a striker now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Zirkzee only joined Bayerns academy a few years after ETH left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Which ones do you think were his choice and not the clubs choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Looks a very strong team on paper!

• Advertisement

I would expect him to have agreed to them but I don't buy into the BS narrative that he's still calling the shots as to who we sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cool. You don't agree. Great for you. I don't understand why you would think the alternative conclusion is an off the wall jab.

He has said in his post some of the transfers made were ETH signings. He has been asked to name them. We can wait and see. It's coming from a Liverpool supporter. 2 + 2 =4

Mod Edit: Warning applied

Post edited by Necro on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Chiesa to Pool is on apparently. That's a decent price too. A bit of a risk given his injuries of late but probably worth the gamble at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A minamino-style punt, really

Crystal Palaces new centre back Chadi Riad gone off injured tonight that might put an end to Guehi leaving.

Regards,

P.

• Advertisement

If only there was a top class striker at the top of that then I'd make them favourites for the league

A couple of years ago he was class.

We'll see how much of that is left after the injuries but he's still young

Romano saying here we go with Chiesa to Liverpool for €13m. That a good signing for Liverpool at that price.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Calafiori and now Chiesa, love seeing some Italians in the Premier League I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Chiesa will presumably be getting a hefty salary but at that level of transfer fee its a decent punt for LFC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement