Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2024 Transfer Window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ah yeah, you know me, never a bad word to say about United.

FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mamardashvilli will the best value most opportunistic deal of this decade.

Mod edit: Warning applied

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The sooner the schools reopen the better!

Mod Edit: Warning applied

Post edited by DM_7 on

Jokes aside, I think that is a really smart deal.

If in 2 years or whatever, they don't need him - they can probably easily sell him for the same or more. If they do need him, their new keeper is already sorted.

It is somewhat unorthadox, but if they can afford to do it I think it makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Closing this while warnings are applied.

Edit: Open now. As normal unless you are posting about the thread topic do not post.

The thread is not intended to host comments about the thread itself or posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

No it's not. Unless you mean Bournemouth getting him on loan as part of the permanent deal the following year, which is somewhat rumoured. I wouldn't call Liverpool signing him opportunistic. it's just a regular transfer really. Maybe it's can be viewed as smart, but only time can prove that.

In actual opportunistic transfers, I would say the best PL one would be Brighton taking advantage of Newcastle's PSR troubles and buying Minteh very early in the window. Newcastle had to sell any player for profit so Brighton took this knowledge and bought Minteh before any other player at Newcastle was sold, thus taking Minteh off of the market. He posted some good output numbers in Holland and his raw data looks incredible. Knowing how they operate, and the players current trajectory, they'll flip him for profit again in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Before the window opened the only threat to City winning their 22nd title in a row was Arsenal, for me nothing has changed.

As a pool fan, I will be interested to see how Slot gets on though I think with 3 keys players having a year left & no extensions confirmed, motivation might be an issue.

No other team has a chance though it is that time of year where we all convince ourselves that it will be different, god knows I did that for so many years as a Pool fan.

Average points total to win the league over the last 11 years is 91pts!!!!

Average total for Pool in that time is 79pts, for Utd it is 68pts and Arsenal 72pts but for Arsenal they are trending in the right direction with a squad at a good age; 61-69-84-89pts in the last four years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In other PL news….

Cameron Archer on the move again from Villa to Southampton I see. They're also signing Lesley Ugochuku on loan from Chelsea.

Smodizcs is Ipswich bound with a medical today, alongside Kalvin Phillips.

Evanilson signing for Bournemouth for €37 mill plus €10 in add ons as Solanke's replacement.

Spurs have bought Wilson Odebert from Burnley for £25 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

The Odebert transfer came out of nowhere, no leaks or anything.

• Advertisement

Spurs creating an annoyingly exciting project…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Joe Gomez left out of the Liverpool squad evaluating his options for a transfer, would be a shrewd signing for anyone who gets him.

Matt Law had previously mentioned that Villa were interested in him, but also Newcastle & Palace will probably be looking at him depending on what way the Guehli transfer plays out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

can’t see him wanting to move to Palace. Could see him going to Newcastle if Palace keep turning down their bids for Guehi though. They could probably get him for 15m or more cheaper than Guehi too - I’d say anything above 45m-50m might get him if his head has been turned by first team football with a European challenging side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

When Newcastle needed to sell players apparently there was a 75m and 45m fees agreed for Gordon and Gomez respectively.

Joao Felix to Chelsea imminent. Cole Palmer left out of match day squad next? 😅

In the right environment I'd reckon there is still a really good player in Felix but he's not needed at Chelsea and it is kind of sad how this comes across as happening solely so they can ship out Gallagher. That said despite not initially wanting to leave gallagher is much better off at Ath Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

A 6 year deal with an option of 1 more year. Chelsea are a total nutcase of a club.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They are so light in midfield too, playing with 2 holding and only have caicedo and lavia. No one to play CM if Enzo gets injured. Overloaded with wingers and attacking mids so that Felix transfer makes zero sense.

Post edited by rob316 on

• Advertisement

Wolves want to buy a CB but don't have the money for one. Wolves also have a good attacking LB.

I wonder if there is any club that will be open to selling a CB but need to buy a LB? @Liverpool

Both clubs have shown willingness to do a bit of a swap deal with players + cash with each other in recent seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Liverpool would probably sell Van Den Berg to wolves for 20 million, would fit the bill for em?

Chelsea are apparently looking at Chiesa as well.

they are playing the stock market and thinking his stock is low now and they can buy low sell high - except he isn’t better than what they have so will end up having reduced game time and be less likely to impress while also impacting others game time and ability to improve and essentially not stall their careers in every way but financially.

They won't sell anyone if they keep up this nonsense of six/seven/eight year contracts🤣

Chelsea will end up trying to loan out a players in the next two weeks and will probably have to cover the majority of their wages as well for the players they do loan out.

Regards,

P.

• Advertisement

You can only loan out 5 or 6 players now though I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

At what stage do we seriously have to consider Chelsea might not be a PL team for much longer

I've never seen a more obvious case of a football club running itself into the ground

All these deals are going to cripple them at some stage and most of the players they are buying are not actually showing anything on the pitch

Chelsea must know that there is a large transfer ban looming (again) for their shady dealings under Roman (again), and so are stocking their squad up now to ride out that wave.

Let alone any potential PSR issues, if their (shady) accounting fixes are not accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Surely the guys running Chelsea and providing the funds aren't stupid businessmen?

They have a good previous history of doing well in sports, so perhaps they have some other plans up their sleeves?

Nketiah to Forest could be a go. Talks still underway after opening bid rejected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Chelsea must think they have a good pipeline of young players that they can sell. Every year they’ll need 70-100m pure profit on sales to match the amortization on all these transfer fees.

It does really annoy when people (especially in the Sky Sports News studio) go on about how unfair the system is when Chelsea have to sell really good homegrown players like Gallagher. It’s totally their own choice, if they didn’t want to sell Gallagher they could have bought fewer players!!

Post edited by The Rooster on

Exactly, if they didn't burst the transfer market for midfielders not once with Fernandes but twice with Caicedo and continue to pay over the odds for the latest big thing on Todd Boehlys Tik Tok feed then they wouldn't have to sell these homegrown players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its a bit of a head scratcher for me why Chelsea are signing João Félix from Atlético Madrid for €50m (£42m) plus €10m (£8.5m) in potential add-ons.

It's crazy money for a player who was quite underwhelming at Chelsea and lets face for most of his career. Atlético Madrid must absolutely delighted.

They also have Palmer who prefers to play in the 10.

So if you're Chelsea then you're looking at Felix playing the 9 maybe with Jackson missing out? Then Neto and someone else on the wing and Palmer in the 10?

So who then plays in the two man midfield? Does Enzo who you've just made captain and cost 100m fit beside Cacideo or because the four in front may not be the best at the defensive side of the game do you play Lavia with Cacideo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Jackson is terrible, wasted some good chances vs City, no harm replacing him with Felix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think they owe Atletico makey uppey money for taking Gallagher off their hands.

And that's precisely the issue, he's been ok but not brilliant but he's on decent money and there for another 8 years so you're probably stuck with him long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Have Chelsea ever published how much they spend on 'agents fees' and the likes during this ownership era.

There have been a lot of dodgy, overinflated transfers there over the last few years, terminating in all sorts of places like eastern Europe and South America. I have no proof, but I'd say there is money being siphoned off left, right, and centre from that club.

Wolves moving for Ramsdale.
    Unless Sa has had his head turned and wants out that'd be a weird move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Thought they'd be focused on replacing Kilman at CB, Sa must be on the move somewhere once they get a replacement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Burnley have accepted Berge bid from Fulham.

So Fulham have signed the player who was tipped to replace McTominay at utd when Fulham were looking to sign McTominay and for £5m less than utd wanted for McTominay. That’s a good bit of business by Fulham.

Regards,

P.

Van den Berg to Brentford for £20m+ according Ornstein Liverpool doing well getting nearly £50m off Brentford for two players who were never getting first squad places at Liverpool.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

Strong links that Gundogan is on the way back to City as Barcelona want him out to register Olmo. Also talks that city are starting to advance with a replacement striker. Ferguson is a name that was mentioned

Liverpool signing a keeper with an eye for the future I would imagine given he's staying at Valencia on loan till next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I imagine if Sa has had his head turned he'd no longer be tenable as a keeper. Hence the interest in Ramsdale.

Gallagher deal finally done. It only took Chelsea buying their highest paid player😅

Barca will be able to register Olmo then once Gundogan leaves.

Regards,

P.

• Advertisement

Obviously but theres been no indication of any move for Sa yet.

Advertisement