Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER existing houses and ditto extensions

Options
  • 09-05-2024 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

Houses for sale must have a BER rating but that it a desk exercise only?

Do extensions need BER/DEAP?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What do you mean by desk exercise only?
    You need information regarding the existing house, the could be available via documentation or inspection.

An extension is part of the house, it needs to be included in the BER.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SeanieRetrofitter

The guy that did mine recently took photos and measurements of the entire house, including the attic. He noted the marks on the doors and windows. If there's no documentation or other satisfactory evidence available the defaults were applied- for example my exterior walls have 100mm PIR but are rated poor in the report because the insulation wasn't visible (i wasn't bothered removing every socket and windowsill to get a higher rating) and i never had certificates for the materials anyway .

Still got a B2 rating.

Definitely not a desktop exercise- the guy was there for around 90 minutes and he didn't spend the time drinking tea. I was pretty impressed by how thorough he was.

He also assessed my part constructed extension- basically it gets included unless it's thermally isolated. (Mine is and will remain so- but if i put a radiator in there- i won't- it'll be included in the next one).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

My apologies - I meant to write ..or is that just a desk top exercise? Anecdotes years back was that people used floor plans and didnt inspect.

Advertisement