Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Executive Officer 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭CiboC

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jevans1990

Did anyone find there was more "cannot say" than expected in the verbal one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Janw

Yes, I used a laptop, which I've used previously for similar assessments with no issues. Screen is 16" so not the smallest, but connected large screen probably would help had I known. I didn't anticipate when mentions tablets etc. I doubt I could do from work because of firewalls. Thanks for the feedback, next time I will get a larger screen and connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭CivilCybil

I used laptop and Google Chrome and had no issues, didn't have to scroll up or zoom in or out. Everything was visible on the same screen (16")

Thanks for response, can I ask what size screen you used and what browser.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response, can I ask what size screen you used and what browser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thanks CivilCybil, at least I know it's not down to either of those reasons. I'll try to figure out for next time. Thanks for your response and best of luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Maripepe

It took me around 23 mins to complete the Numerical one, and 14 mins for the Verbal. No much hope here :'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭lucat

That was the most bizarre test I've ever done and I'm a bit shocked at the poor quality.

Did anyone else find the tables and charts very confusing because they were not adequately labelled? And the questions had a lot of redundant information? And none of my answers seemed to be there as options to choose- so I am guessing I am missing data?

Can you imagine actually including tables like them in a report to the Minister- you'd be in serious trouble for not even labelling the X and Y axis!

I also had difficulties with the tables and charts, but more around format, had to scroll left and right or up and down to see different quadrants of the tables. I did also think charts could be labelled more clearly and exact numbers difficult to work out in some cases. I have been emailing the LCV5sovasupport@publicjobs.ie email, but they're just indicating a 'local device issue' though haven't been able to indicate in anything more specific. My laptop and browser meet the specs and I've never found any similar issues previously. Perhaps if you email them, they might start realising that some people did have issues with the platform/format. Same laptop had no issues on previous PAS assessments or in SOVA practice tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 truespark

Did anyone find the estimated time guidelines misleading? The numerical took a lot longer than 15mins

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭coffeesiphon

Time wise that doesn't sound bad, Id be ok with it if those were my times, average verbal times on most practice tests seem to be 15m and for numerical its 30m, even if numerical isn't that generous you still came in under 25m and close to 20m.

I wonder what the pass mark is for questions, 60%-70% maybe?

Are you allowed have a monitor on the desk with a hdmi cable lose to connect the laptop to? once I do the room check Ill sit the laptop down on the desk and connect it to second screen, my monitor is on a desk arm stand, I can clear everything off and remove pc from under the desk so everything looks above board.

Now you mention it, I tried to zoom out at one point but it wouldn't allow me, because I thought maybe some quadrants or data was missing. The table made no sense otherwise.

The fact that we are having similar issues makes me think this must have happened to a few people and it's not a device issue. I was using an external monitor but my laptop is 15" anyway. I really couldn't see anything when I scrolled, there were just unclear labels. I actually scrolled down to the end of some pages to see if any extra data legends etc. were there.

I've emailed them so will see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭skidmarkoner

I gone everybody left feedback in regards to the above as this year's campaign seems extremely difficult compared to other years

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

Just did the tests. Well numeracy was...eh nothing like the examples, and not very clear re charts and details.

This year's heo competition seems very difficult. After all there's a presentation and interview to come if you get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dubjane

You're all getting me worried about the numerical and making me think I completely messed up the answers

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Flaker

Oh my goodness, I found that very tough indeed. I normally sail through these tests but that was HARD.

I think I rushed through the verbal as I was worrying about the numerical and definitely got one very obvious one wrong and that's only the mistake I noticed! I'm sure there were more.

The numerical, never my strong point but as it used be that you only had to pass I never worried before. I took way way longer than projected 15 mins and will be very lucky if I got half of them right.

No offence but I hope you all did crap. That might give me a fighting chance 😆😆 Seriously though, I think they were very tough and hopefully the powers that be will go a bit easy on us.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dubjane

Everyone is describing the questions as "hard", but I would describe them as "nonsensical" :)

I've a feeling the Union might get involved in this competition, even though I'm not sure on what basis they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JaymeA

The numerical was awful! I did a lot of prep and have never struggled with assessments before but not a chance I reached qualifying standard 😭 also lost connection for 10-15 minutes…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

I've heard this complaint every time there's a competition for HEO internal or run by PAS, never heard of the union doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭spark_tank

It doesn't matter how difficult they are. There's a fixed number of people going to get through regardless.

I lost connection too! Only for about 5 minutes but I nearly had a kiniption fit. Disaster all round for all it seems.

I did too (left feedback i mean). I was NOT complimentary! I've never done the feedback before but had to this time it was so bad. Whether it'll make any difference....

What exactly was everyone finding hard about the numerical test?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Mr lebowski

I also did poorly I reckon. I think it's the worst I have ever done in these! I got all the practice ones correct but feel like I messed up in the real tests!. It's probably more to do with me than the tests as I got rattled and panicked on the maths and guessed far too many rather than concentrating on getting them correct. A few of the questions I didn't understand what they were asking even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 MaryKaye79

union won’t get involved cos it’s hard.

sova tests are notoriously hard anyway

Advertisement