Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Executive Officer 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gestappo

It’s all stated in the circular and video which is linked in the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pickysue

The form is graded on its content and providing examples that match the list of HEO competencies/capabilities.. If ones form doesn't contain enough information on it/doesn’t hit the markers then it won’t progress to Stage 3 and will be eliminated. It was the same in the 2022 HEO competition

Yes I did - it’s the same process as was used in the 2022 HEO Competition

were many people eliminated due to their form in that comp?

And did OOMs change much?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Fruitgum

Yes, this is how it was done for the 2022 comp. Have a look at that thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Totally Red

I just seen there it gives you the practical excercise to analyse the civil service 2030 renewal strategy plan

It was a bit mad.. Did the tests in April 22. I got 900s for Dublin and in May was advised by message that they were shortlisting the first 422 and they would be in touch. I know at least 10 colleagues who had OOM waaay ahead of me were eliminated and advised they hadn’t got through to Stage 3 as they hadn’t reached the qualifying mark. I got a message in late July saying my form had gotten through the shortlisting process and my new OOM was 98. I was called in September but was in hospital having urgent surgery. They offered me a reschedule date in Jan 23 but I wasn’t up to it so I opted out. PAS confirmed today that the same process is being used for this competition so expect a rollercoaster

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SpringThing

I've just been reading the last Interdepartmental HEO thread and it's given me a bit more confidence as I think I did a good application form, I have staff reporting to me and had decent examples for the questions. Hoping this will get me through shortlisting and get me a better OOM. I still dread the presentation but that's a worry that can be pushed further down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I have no hope of getting shortlisted and I'm fine with that - rushed the application form (due to circumstances) - but it's all good experience for the next competition where (based on my new role) I hope to have lots of experience that are relevant to the new framework for the application form

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SiobhanR086

Hi All, just wondering does anyone know when stage 2 results are out? Got my OOM for Dublin in the top 200’s. So now wondering how long I actually have to wait to find out if I really passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Aabbccdd

just looked back & seen that 262 candidates were assigned from the 2022 HEO panel. So really after shortlisting/interviews you’d want to be in the first few hundred to be offered a position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭skidmarkoner

I'm guessing first 600 is a safe bet to get called to interview in Dublin anything after is risky in the short time they gave this comp its only slight over 12 months of interview before it begin to close and they give up calling us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dublin2024

the shortlisting is based on wether you hit all the buzzwords that they are looking for in a HEO, I’ve been advised that it doesn’t matter what OOM we’ve received for the tests, could be no 1 and still be eliminated at shortlisting stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Aabbccdd

oh the suspense!! It’s mad they didn’t indicate a timeframe or anything for shortlisting

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭furrybones

I was thrilled to get the good news yesterday that I passed, now it's like that news was just a tease and the pain of waiting to see if I made the cut starts again. These competitions really are a test of patience and positivity. The self doubt is the worst part🙄

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Anyone know if you pass the shortlisting is it a combination of your online test scores and shortlisting score gives you your new OOM or do you just get a new OOM based on the shortlisting score?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fifi2804

Does anyone know the total amount of people that participated in this competition?

as per the other comments above, I’ve read the first 14 pages of the previous HEO InterD comp and quite a few people were eliminated completely due to their form not ticking all the required boxes.

Where did people find out that only so many got assigned from the last comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ballyerlas

Selection Process12. The selection process for this competition will comprise a number of elements. These mayinclude one or more of the following:• Completion of an online Assessment Questionnaire.• Online and/or paper-based assessment test(s).• Shortlisting of candidates on the basis of the information supplied in their application.• Asynchronous interview(s);• A competitive preliminary interview(s).• Interview(s) / Online Video Interview(s).• Presentation/Analysis exercise.• Group/Team exercise.• Work sample test.• Any other tests or exercises that may be deemed appropriate, including language proficiencytests.Applicants must successfully compete and be placed highest, in order to be considered foradvancement to the next stage of the multi-stage selection process. The number to be invitedforward at each stage will be determined from time to time by the Public Appointments Service.You may only sit the various stages of the selection process once.ShortlistingThe number of applications received for a position generally exceeds that required to fill existingand future vacancies. While a candidate may meet the eligibility requirements of the competition,if the numbers applying are such that it would not be practical to interview everyone, the PublicAppointments Service may decide that a smaller number will be invited to the next stage of theselection process. The Public Appointments Service provide for the employment of a shortlistingprocess to select a group who, based on an examination of the application forms, appear to bethe most suitable for the position. This is not to suggest that other candidates are necessarilyunsuitable or incapable of undertaking the job, rather that there are some candidates, who basedon their application, appear to be better qualified and/or have more relevant experience. Duringshortlisting, an expert board will examine the application forms against agreed shortlistingcriteria which are based on the requirements of the position. The standard of content of eachapplication submitted may also be assessed during this process. The shortlisting criteria mayinclude both essential and desirable criteria specified for the position and, it is therefore in yourown interest to provide a detailed and accurate account of your qualifications/ experience in yourapplication. The onus is on candidates to complete the application form fully and accurately.In the case of competitions that may involve large numbers of candidates, candidates may beranked on the outcome of their online assessment tests and will be shortlisted in accordancewith their ranking. Applicants must successfully compete and be placed highest, to beconsidered for advancement to the next stage of the multistage selection process. The numberto be invited forward at each stage will be determined from time to time by the PublicAppointments Service.

Sorry I copied and pasted but didn't paste in all the spaces. :)

• Advertisement

https://www.publicjobs.ie/restapi/documents/Panel_Assignments_HEO_2020_2022.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wasteking

Anyone have a vague/rough idea on how long shortlisting will take? Placed 8th in OOM for my location.

Think I covered off a decent bit of the HEO competencies in my app form but conscious now that I see you can be eliminated based on the app form.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Fruitgum

This is from the circular from this compeition;

A breakdown of the number of Higher Executive Officer candidates assigned from panels across locations in the recent HEO 2020 and HEO 2022 competitions can be viewed here.

Panel_Assignments_HEO_2020_2022.pdf (publicjobs.ie)

Please note, this is not a prediction of future demand for Higher Executive Officer vacancies from Government Departments/Offices, across the locations. Information is correct at time of Circular 07/2024 issuing 9th May 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jane83

PAS do not give this information out until after the competition has finished and panel expired

Thanks for this, very little got through it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 22 prin2023

So am I correct in saying, our current OOM is going to be replaced with an OOM based only off the form?

It’s just from the shortlisting

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭CivilCybil

It really makes for depressing reading for anyone outside of Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CS2022

Absolutely. Any chance of spreading some of the Dublin vacancies via hybrid / remote work / some form of renewed decentralisation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 CS2022

Based on previous HEO 2022 comp 2 locations in Munster - Cork and Limerick:

Application: 24th March 2022

Stage 1 Testing: 25th April 2022

Stage 1 Results: 26th May 2022 - Batch 1 both locations

Stage 2 Results Shortlisting: 5th October 2022

Stage 3 Invitation to Interview: 24th January 2023

Advertisement