Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Executive Officer 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Aabbccdd

so they’re going to shortlist as they go along? I thought they would shortlist everyone and get a new OOM, but going off PAS response above, they are shortlisting in batches

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gestappo

That's the way they shortlisted in the previous HEO comp. The first 400 or so applicants were shortlisted. A high amount of them did not get through shortlisting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 century

hey is anyone else waiting on results cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SpringThing

I got top third for Verbal, I did very well in the verbal and Lower third for numerical which I still did ok in but my OOM is in the 1000's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭MFPM

If you haven't had results yet you should contact PAS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Atrier

Top third in numerical and middle in verbal here. OOM high 600s. A long wait for shortlisting by the sounds of it, if they even get to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Podgesull1

Hi just wonder what are the chances of you got in top OOM 30 for Kerry don't really feel IV much if a chance for that county but hoping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

No one can say - will depend where you end up on the OOM after shortlisting if you make the shortlisting

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭HDonal

I'm in Kerry also, and will let you know if I hear anything about shortlisting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Camango

Got OOM low teens! Shocked, delighted and chuffed with the result but very nervous about the shortlisting. It’d be awful to do so well in the tests and not be called for interview based on the application I submitted before the tests! This waiting game is a killer…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Gillouise

I passed the tests in the 2022 comp but didn't get shortlisted based off my form. I subsequently heard from a reliable source that PAS use software to shortlist the forms - basically scanning for buzzwords from the competencies. I wonder will it be the same now with the new capabilities format - I can't imagine a few people sitting there marking thousands of forms.

In the 2022 comp results of tests came out, 1 month later shortlisting results and based off colleagues in my dept interviews were then approx 2 months later (this was for Dublin and OOMs in the top 300)

Couldn't be! If the shortlisting was done using software, there would surely be no need to shortlist in batches and certainly no need to do so after the tests. I would have thought the reason shortlisting comes after online testing is to filter out a certain percentage to reduce the administrative burden of going through the applications. Otherwise, it would make little sense for one's application form (Shall we call it Stage 0?) to be sufficient to progress to Stage 1, but not Stage 2, no?

Thanks for the clarity on the timeframes though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bubbat

You're bang on, shortlisting is 100% done by a human panel, that's why it's done in batches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Most employment agencies would use scanning software so not out of the realm of possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭EduKate

Shortlisting is done by humans.

I work in an area where PAS ask us for staff to help with it.

Post edited by EduKate on

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gestappo

I would be very interested to work in that area! What grade would they be to going through the HEO applications?

Typically, AP or above

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Whistledown

This is definitely a roller coaster. Firstly, I thought the new application/capability framework was looking for a different style of providing details of experience etc.

I found the tests very hard and was surprised to have done better in the numerical than the verbal, which was tricky.

I passed both, but just in top 40 for my county. Hopefully my application with bring me up but I just noticed very poor grammar in a couple of sentences so not sure if that will be a major infringement.....fingers crossed.

My colleague failed the verbal by 5 points but did very well in the numerical, so very disappointed gor him. He would be a great HEO

Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Gillouise

Good to know. I hadn't heard about them using the software before the last comp and this info came from someone that regularly sits on interview boards for PAS so seemed believable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭skidmarkoner

You must work in PAS? if not that seems like a significant breach of GDPR sending applications to other government departments for review.

• Advertisement

It's not a case of PAS sending applications to other departments for review. They ask departments for suitable people to sit on their interview and shortlisting boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 FlowerGarden1

Thank you

Post edited by FlowerGarden1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Ah yes that makes sense they contract them in for the next stages

No, sorry. I assume you didn't get results, contacted PAS to query it and they had no record of the assessments being completed? If so, that sounds awful! I can't begin to imagine how you might argue it though. Are you sure you did them and didn't just do the practice/familiarisation ones that came out the week before?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 odracir

Congrats to everyone.

I am short of 2 points in Verbal but passed Numerical.

Am I allowed to ask for some sort of a recount/appeal or anything to get them to see if I get over the line?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭furrybones

When I finished the assessments I took a screenshot of where it said I had completed all 3 tasks (ID verification, verbal, numerical) because I was afraid of something like this happening.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 32 EmmaMol

Does anyone know how many they're gonna do the batches in for shorlisting? Im in early 300s so just trying to gauge a timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cnmjb92

. .

Post edited by cnmjb92 on

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭eroc79

I would assume that would depend on the county and the number of likely vacancies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Anastasia_

Made it into the top 10 for Cork, it will be interesting to see the results of the shortlisting with the new competencies though!

Advertisement