Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven Design regarding fan run on [Technical this time]

Options
  • 09-05-2024 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

I finally bought an Indesit fan oven.

The installation manual is all in pictures, no text just various cartoons with an "X" for the obviously incorrect practices.

The use of a timer or oddly enough an extension is crossed out.

Maybe they assume that the timer or extension cable will not supply the 10A or so needed.

Anyway I assumed that the oven timer turned it off, which it does not, so I am going to put an electrical timer into the feed.

This is acceptable to the maker and will not infringe the warranty, but I notice after using the grill or the oven that the fan runs on for a quite long period after switching the actual oven control to off.

It was obvious the person I spoke to wasn't clued up electrically, so I didn't ask "why", but what can the problem be if I cut the power, surely the element will not be in danger of premature failure if the fan does not run after the power is removed?

Apart from reducing the burn risk through touching a "hot spot" when the door is opened. I do not really se why the fan needs to run on anyway.

Has anyone any knowledge of this design feature or ideas please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

It isn’t the oven fan that is running, there is an air wash fan in the roof of the oven outside which directs air onto the Switches and down the front of the oven to prevent you getting burned a to keep the switc he’s from seizing.this will run on until it has cooled down sufficiently, don’t switch it off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭blackbox

There may be different options on the timer. On our oven you can set the timer to just beep and do nothing else.

If it's a standard oven, it most likely can draw too much current for an extension lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Thanks, I wonder why the manufacturers service desk ok'd it?

I must admit it sounded rather odd their saying a supply interruption was fine when I found the fan noise going on long after switch off.

I will carry on with the timer though, I ran the cables out for one and ordered the contactor.

I am getting old, I forget things and want to avoid having my sourdough baking for a week or two :-(

Thank you for the explanation, it isn't quite what I wanted to hear. but it puts my mind at rest.

I would guess maybe a few power interruptions in the course of the year would be o/k, I cannot imagine a design that would fail after only the odd one or two power removals.

Living in this part of rural Ireland, sometimes its as well to rely on a power outage rather than try to find the TV remote :-)

I would guess that the extension was a blanket "don't" as the details would be a tad confusing for a pictorial assembly guide.

I can see nothing wrong with a proper, short extension, even a multi outlet socket.

The problems arise with cheap bent copper "foil" type contacts and long lengths of flex rolled or bundled together allowing heat to build up.

My timer does alarm and nothing else at all.

In the UK I had a couple of episodes with my gas cooker so I consider it imperative to avoid this at all costs, I wasn't even in my dotage in those days either. Had I known the clockwork timer wasn't to cut the power I might have gone for a different model, but in all honesty I am very, very pleased with it apart from that.

On the subject of extensions, i replaced the flex, I was going to use 2.5mm, but the new cable is horrendous. White, matt and pretty inflexible. Why that is now the new standard God knows.

Nowt unusual there though, some American equipment that made it's way over to the UK and became an industry "standard" used to have terminations more suited to bell wire than serious power feeds.

Anyway I went for the 1.5mm cable, at least it fits into a 13A plug and allows a reasonable radius bend.

Just how inflexible can "flex" be these days, yet still be called flex?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭blackbox

I've had some of that stiff flex. I think it's something to do with a low smoke formula plastic.

• Advertisement

Now that sounds useful.

I only ever saw one cable reel with overheated flex and I doubt the white stuff would be suitable for a standard enclosed type household extension cord.

I don't think white flex is compatible with the female of the human species. The stuff looks terrible after a while even in the cleanest environment.

Then after years of care and cleaning, it goes yellow

I wonder what's happening to the old cable stripped out of the landline phone systems :-)

Advertisement