Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vulture Funds

• 09-05-2024 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭

hi,

not sure if this is the correct forum, please move accordingly if not.

A friend had a buy to let property, mortgage had been transferred to a Vulture Fund. The mortgage fell into arrears a few years ago. The vulture fund took the property and as my friend had no way of coming up with the outstanding debt, a certain amount was agreed with the Vulture Fund. She is due to inherit some money in the future and is wondering if the Vulture Fund has any claim on this.

thanks for any advice

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,624 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Depends entirely on the terms of her agreement with the creditor, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Toby22

thanks, as far as she is aware it was a final settlement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,624 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You would need to actually read the contract, rather than rely on terms that were bandied around to describe it. It's quite possible that the creditor did accept a certain sum paid by a certain date in full and final settlement, and expressly renounced all claims to any further sum, but you need to see this written down in black and white.

And — I cannot stress this enough — the settlement is only final if you abide by its terms. If they agree to accept €X, paid by Y date, in full and final settlement, then to be free of further claims you not only have to pay €X, but you have to pay it by Y date. Pay it late, and they can trouser it and then pursue you for more.

(They wouldn't necessarily do this. But you'd need to be aware that they could.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It appears to the Judges that by no possibility, a lesser sum can be a satisfaction to the plaintiff for a greater sum: but the gift of a horse, hawk or robe etc in satisfaction is good.

Admittedly. not 100% relevant, but I like that case

Advertisement