Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what sort of wall fixing?

Options
  • 09-05-2024 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to hang a fairly big painting (c. 10kg) on a wall.

The wall is part of an extension about 20 years. It's concrete block and from what I recall faced with some blue insulation material which was few inches deep then skimmed. Don't know the details I'm assuming it was whatever was usual practise back then.

Would a single big rawlplug like pic

hold or would be advisable to:

a) use 2

b) get extra long so it goes thru insulation to the concrete

c) get some special expanding fixing

Sorry for the vagueness, I could drill to find out the specifics but that's creating extra work and I'm willing to roll the dice and go with the likelihood

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I would always go through to concrete tbh.

10KG isn't that much even for a standard plasterboard fixing, I'd probably go for 2 though.

If it was something important, or above a bed or something, then I'd get a frame fixing and go through to the blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Your wall plug really needs to go into the blockwork and not just the skim and the insulation.

Ideally you want to know the depth of the insulation first.

If you want to take a chance then lets guess the insulation plus skim is 50mm thick so you need a few mill to hang your picture on and at least 50mm into the wall. So I'd go with a single 120mm frame fixer one of these would be ideal.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/fischer-tx-duoxpand-hex-head-frame-fixings-8mm-x-120mm-4-pack/732hl

You may need an SDS drill?

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement