Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best oil for African Black Wood.

Options
  • 10-05-2024 4:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

What is best to put on old hard wood carvings, masks, busts etc. Most are very heavy wood, which I understand is called African Black Wood. I don't want a glossy finish, if possible, but the wood looks too dry and dull atm.

TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe just a food safe paraffin oil? it won't be a drying oil (i.e. won't leave a finish) but it sounds like that's what you're looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭HorseSea

Just when I was despairing about how quiet Boards is these days, when a question like this would generate an answer in hours, you come along, thank you.

I will try that, some of the pieces appear to have no finish on them so I think this suggestion will work. Others seem to have a finish on them that's gone dull and dry, will it be ok to apply cutting board oil over an existing finish do you think?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, the woodcraft forum has really died off.

hard to say about the ones with a finish on them already, as i don't know what that finish is.

worth also mentioning that i often use boiled linseed oil on bare wood; it penetrates and gives a nice matt sheen, especially if you use just one coat.

Advertisement