Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issued a parking ticket when I was at home with my car parked outside

Options
  • 10-05-2024 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Deenie78

I received a parking ticket in the post for being illegally parked in the city centre, when I was at home with my car parked outside my house at the time in question. I don't have any evidence to prove this, aside from a text exchange with a pal that mentions I was home.

What's the best way to go about disputing this?

Comments

• They usually have a photo of your car. Ask them. Although I thought they clamp in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Follow up on it and then if they have photos of the number plate etc, and it wasn't actually physically your car, report it as being cloned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

as above ,

is it park right or a garda ticket ? both generally take a photo whit ht reg and make model and colour of car incase of later error. you can ask for it and assuming they don't match up , problem sorted

im sure theres contact details on the back of the document you received

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Happened a colleague of mine, she got a ticket in Limerick while we were sitting in a meeting in Dublin. I had to write her a letter as the manager confirming she was present with me and that her car was in the parking lot that day. The clone was a similar make and model but we had CCTV of the parking lot on the day and our clamping team scan all the reg plates as they drive around. Best of luck, but if nothing else report it to the Gardai as cloned, if it has been they may start racking up toll and parking fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Absolutely do this. My home got raided as my car was used in a robbery in Crumlin. The gardai realised the car had been cloned and that was the end of it but they did warn me to possibly expect speed tickets, m50 tolls, etc etc. Report it immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do you have timeline enabled on your phone? That'll show that you were at home when sending and receiving the texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your Google timeline doesn't prove that your car was parked outside your house. Nor does a text message which suggests that the OP was at home. One of the OP's family could have been in town with the car.

You need to be aware of the high level of scepticism you'll meet when you try to blag your way out of a parking ticket. They have literally heard every excuse in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Deenie78

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it - I'll try to remember to report back on the outcome in case anyone finds themself in a similar situation!

Hi just to update the outcome - after sending my cancellation request on the 13/5, I received a notification in the post yesterday (27/5) cancelling both tickets. So a very satisfactory result, I'm guessing after a little investigation they realised their error.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Do you think it was a clone or just a mistyped reg number?

• Advertisement

As they didn't give any further information I'm guessing a mistyped reg number - I kind of hope they would have informed me if there was a clone of my reg doing the rounds. The cancellation note was succinct to say the least!

Advertisement