Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heads UP for semi auto CF rifle owners.

Options
  • 10-05-2024 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭

Got a call from my district office this morning, seems AGS is doing an inventory of how many SACFs are out in civilian land at the moment. From what info I could glean it seems that their info is woefully out of date on this topic and are as usual, not up on the law as it stands in regarding the grandfathering of those rifles held before 2015 under the Criminal Justice misc provisions act pt 2. So if you do get a call make sure to point out that if you held a license before 2015 you are grandfathered under this act.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rifter

I don't own a SACF, but I have to ask, how in the name of god do they not know if someone had a SACF licence before 2015.... it would surely be on the system? And also that pre 2015 licences are grandfathered

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

You have to remember that this is the much hated system which has such things as Glock revolvers with 20 round magazines registered in it, among other eccentricities 😂

Numerous inaccuracies in every aspect of the system, with probably the only semi accurate details being the serial number of the firearm, and even that has been found to be wrongly entered which is why you should always check your licence against it. Let alone the number of people with Walther pistols who have it on their licence as "Walter"…

I've spoken to quite a few FOs over the years and it is universally hated and is pretty much useless for all intents and purposes.
    Canada had a long gun registry until a few years back and it was similarly a complete shambles, as was New Zealands.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

UPDATE.So it seems this is according to scuttllebutt in conjunction to the Driminigh shooting in which an AR15 type rifle was used.So obvious first port of call is ligit gunowners.As we obviously loan our guns to juvenile gang bangers and drug dealers.Well it shouldn't be too hard to find then if this is the case ,as according to the DOJ own figures there are less than 100 SACF rifles in Ireland in civvi ownership,and if you eliminate the exotics like HKs,FNs,Garands,M1 carbine,etc .Its a pretty small pool then to find a missing AR15

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement