Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Home Sockets and Lights

Options
  • 10-05-2024 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Doing a complete retrofit in the new home and considering smart home sockets and lights.

I'm looking for light switches that can be all added to the app for Android and named. That I could turn on or off from the phone, may be dim if bulb allow.

Same for the sockets - would be nice to be able to turn on and off sockets remotely and see the power consumption in the app.

Am I looking for something unreal or is there something on the market that is reliable?

Thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I mean, there are lots of options. I love Shelly, others love Sonoff, depends on what you already do and what you want to be doing. Most things have their own app these days but also work with home assistant and other home automation centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭_ptashek_

Plenty of choices in the Tuya ecosystem of devices. All can be controlled with the Tuya or Smart Life apps. Some of the smart devices sold by the likes of Lidl are using the Tuya platform. There's WiFi and Zigbee devices to pick from. You'd need to research what's available and fits your needs.

Sockets will be hard. There are no good smart sockets in the IE/UK three-pin config. You're better of getting smart plugs to add to standard sockets. I have a few Tuya 20-amp ones with energy consumption monitoring, and they work great.

Aqara makes good gear, but can be pricey. I have a bunch of their TRVs and sensors, not a bother with either. Apps are supposed to be solid too (I use my own, so have no opinion here).

There's also Fibaro, Sonoff, Shelly. Also solid gear. No opinion on apps.

One recommendation against I can make is LIFX light bulbs. Hardware is OK, but their firmware and apps are terribly buggy, and have been for years.

Suprisingly enough, Ikea smart bulbs and lamps are good. Got a few at home, not one issue.
    Zigbee based though, so need a hub or own setup with something like Home Assistant and a Zigbee dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Shoog

If you are going down this route it's a good idea to rewire your light switches so they all have neutrals. Then you can fit smart switches which will allow local on the spot switching of your smart lights. Otherwise it can be a pain to have to rely on using you phone to switch on a light when you enter a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Koni

And what is the best app to manage lights from your experience?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

If your willing to put in the legwork, then home assistant is amazing but you need to set up a home server for it.

The Shelly app is fine, but I don't use the app, just home assistant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Koni

I looked on Home Assistant - it's impressive, I mean WOW- this is what I have been looking for.

Thank you very much for advice. I now move to Home Assistant forum.

Advertisement