Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternator bracket removal

Options
  • 10-05-2024 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

have a Peugeot J5 petrol motorhome - 1994. The head of the upper bolt securing the top part of the alternator has sheared with the result that the alternator is only secured on its left -drivers- side and on the tensioning bracket underneath. The shaft of the bolt is stuck in the engine part that the alternator is bolted on to. I have removed the alternator. Having jacked up the engine a little I have managed to remove the three bolts that secure the engine to the mounting / shock absorber rubbers. I have also Unscrewed a nut from underneath the bracket that the alternator is fastened on to. But the housing / bracket Thet I am trying to remove - so that I can drill out that sheared bolt - is still stuck. Is there another bolt that I am missing?

PS I have caught the thread end of the sheared bolt with a vice grip but no movement was noticed. I am afraid to use a blow torch because of the petrol engine

Any advice wou,d be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Have you tried a broken bolt extractor?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/bolt-extractor-set-5-pieces/1112V?tc=CI4&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwi_exBhA8EiwA_kU1MjRX0vZx-fHloSiwuECeamOj4Ls_xu1PvMPmClz5yGEB9UhSh3CtchoCcZ8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Field east

will try that when I have the piece out. At the moment there is no room to get at it because there is only about 3 “ on wheel side to get at it.
    also the piece I am trying to get out is probably aluminium so I need to be very careful. So because of that I wil get a professional to remove it. When it’s out I will heat it with a DIY size blow torch then the frozen water treatment and then catch the thread end with a vice grip and see how it goes

Advertisement