Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media 2gb Hub 5x - Modem Mode

Options
  • 11-05-2024 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

VM are rolling out 2gb fibre on Siro but are using Hub 5x which seems to not allow Modem mode.

Has anyone be able to activate Modem mode in order to avoid double NAT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yes you have to ring them(And wait up to 40 mins on hold) and then ask for ipv4 to be enabled.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

@youcancallmeal have you done this yourself? I know this was the case with their Coax 1000/50 package but I've heard it's not possible with the hub 5x

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NU8

I got them to activate modem mode on the 5x but couldn't get it to work. My router couldn't connect to the internet. I saw on Reddit people suggesting to clone the MAC address of the modem but I haven't tried that yet

Yes I had to clone the virgin hub mac address in my tp-Link deco app to get it to work. It's working now a few weeks but it's nowhere near as reliable as when I had Sky Fiber which connected straight from the ONT to my mesh network. Getting disconnects on my mesh network every day, sometimes only momentary and other times I have to reboot the system altogether. The Virgin hub reportedly has firmware issues with EEE(Energy saving) being enabled by default on the 2.5Gbps port. I've been meaning to ring them to ask them to push an update for the firmware remotely but haven't gotten around to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NU8

Good to know, thank you. I'm using my router as a wireless access point only which works fine although prevents the mesh from working.

I'm not sure if going to modem mode is worth it if it isn't stable. My current solution is fine and I work from home so can't afford instability.

Do you know if you can connect directly to the ONT on Sky when it's not SIRO, it's over Virgins own fibre?

• Advertisement

I still haven't ruled out some configuration issue with my mesh network but seems unlikely as it was rock solid for a year when I was on Sky Fibre(Siro).

I don't think it's possible to connect your own hardware directly to Virgin's own fibre ONT, there's no Lan port on the ONT like there was on the Sky Fibre ONT, it just has a single fibre connection which goes into Virgin Hub 5x.

Advertisement