Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Films ruined by propaganda and/or unrealistic situations/stories ....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

"I'm not saying the Jews run Hollywood...but I have been there and there sure were a lot of Jews" - Dave Chapelle

Transformers 3 - autobots take time off from scrapping with the decepticons to kill with (extreme prejudice) Iranians and attack their "illegal" nuclear base on behalf of their allies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbtbSmak3_g

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Felt the opposite tbh, Chani in the book barely has a character beyond 'feisty fighter', and just falls in with whatever Paul does or says. Given that Herbert himself was dismayed by readers reactions to the first book - with them reading it as Paul's heroic tale - and Villeneuve's stated ambition to address that to try to make the viewer come out with the perspective Herbert had intended, she's a character that makes perfect sense to do it through. It's also not played as an 'about turn', it's very consistent with the character Villeneuve created throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Rambo 3 or Rambo III as it stated on the cover …. was a favourite of many back then …. the old video rental was always full of people requesting this only to find it booked out …. I was one and had to wait a week to get my turn to get it !! … funny back then I would not have thought much about the content …. all one wanted was shootouts, fights and explosions ….. the message did not matter and horrors like the 2003 Iraq war did not happen yet ….

The Mujahedin in the film were the Islamic resistance movement against the then Afghan communist government and its Soviet backers …. they were not strictly the same as the Taliban but many of the original 1990s-2001 Taliban regime officials plus Osama bin Laden and the future Al Qaeda were very much prominent in that war ….. just not named those things yet …. they were then considered allies of the US !! ….

Rambo III and Rambo First Blood Part 2 were better than than those Chuck Norris yokes though ….. but the original Rambo called First Blood is essential viewing …. a great film about the struggles of a Vietnam veteran coming home and rejected by America's small towns' mentality …. Sylvester Stallone gives a great performance as a convincing dejected ex soldier and Brian Dennehy likewise as the local Sherriff Will Teasle ….. the main villain is a guy called Galt whose bullying of Rambo causes Rambo to erupt and poisons the relationship between Rambo and Teasle …. it is prob true that Teasle was reluctant to let Rambo into the town because he knew what Galt would do but also was too weak to stand up to Galt …. Galt eventually dies accidentally and I remember watching at the time and wanting so bad for Rambo to smash in Galt's head !!!! …. Galt was a truly despicable character …..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well First Rambo was a genuinely decent film alright and bore no resemblance to the sequels. But in general, for the video-fodder of the 80s/90s there was no real hidden meaning. There was no subtlety. 'Murica good. Everyone else weak or bad.

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,971 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Jesus the Chuck Norris films are fluff they are not to be taken serious you must not enjoy loads of films then with guns that fire longer or an explosion.

Anyway 1 for me is U571 went all the way with a complaint by the house of Commons and a Not based on real world writing on the screen though put after the film not at the start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,971 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Ya a lot of TV and films based on books can do this unfortunately and totally changed it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

For me, the total visceral and brutal world portrayed in the novels was brilliantly done in part 1, the world seems totally real. Part of it does this by showcasing the likes of the Sardaukar and the Fremen as these two brutal warrior regimes basically programmed by fundamentalist ideology, an ideology that is inherently brutal and extremely violent, with no mercy and no tolerance for debating it. Then in part 2 we have this IMO nonsensical scene where a group of basically lowly warrior canon fodder fighters such as Chani and her young waneen gang are constantly blaspheming and disrespecting the ideology and are given a pass for doing it. That makes no sense in the world Vileneuve created for the first part and it completely dragged me out of the second film. And it happened way way too much. A good analogy would be showcasing a bunch of the low ranking Sardaukar lads waking up in the morning and proclaiming "y'know what lads, I think this Emperor lad is a wollix and I think we are being used like canon fodder for this wollixs own ends", sure they'd be dragged out and crucified on the upside down blood river pyramid quicker than you could say gom jabbar, but the likes of Chani gets away with saying the same thing within the same brutalistic world. It was a serious problem for me watching the second part.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I get your point alright… it didn't feel like that so much to me though, and was more Chani respecting the traditional ways, rather than jumping on board this outsider-God story - particularly since she was in the position of knowing that it was all manipulation, with Paul himself telling her he was just equal to them, no better or worse. So from her point of view, she knew it was a 'false profit' story that was being stirred up by Lady Jessica to take advantage of her people - so her walking away from Paul when he finally 'owns' the story himself and takes his position as their christ figure makes sense. It also works well to rectify what Herbert himself felt was lost on audiences in the book, that this was all bad for the Fremen - victorious in a sense, but ultimately shackled and used by another outsider/coloniser figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

It completely diluted the world for me, it made the fremen seem like a bunch of all over the place clowns, compared to the first part. I get they have to make it a certain way for the blockbuster audiences but that just takes a brilliant timeless artistic story and festoon in unrealistic situations to placate the blockbuster audience and whatever its current zeitgeist beliefs are this particular year.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

V true …. the first Rambo was a great film that depicted an often untold story of the Vietnam war …. the lonely and traumatised soldier returning from his duty and not being accepted ….

The Rambo sequels and other such films were typical video fodder of the times ….. the Rambo sequels were better though than the Norris films and the low budget copycats like Strike Commando et al …. but there was an insatiable appetite for all such films …. the video rentals like XtraVision were full of them ….

Like the anti-Native American Western they were products of their time …. I like a good Western but am v much a person who would not watch a Western where the Native Americans are the 'bad' guys ….

The Bond film The Living Daylights …. which I regard as one of the better Bond films …. also took in some of the Rambo-era influences but in a more moderate nuanced way …. like Octopussy …. another underrated slightly earlier Bond film with a similar story ….. the film is careful to emphasise the distinction between the helpful moderate Russian and the rogue Russian ….. in The Living Daylights, Bond is an ally of the good Russian Pushkin who ends up killing his own that is the bad Russian Koskov …. same happened to the bad Russian Orlov in Octopussy …. while Bond dealt with the other villain ….. an American in The Living Daylights and an Iranian/Afghan/Persian type ex royal in Octopussy ….

I know the scene at the end of The Living Daylights where Bond and all his allies come to the concert of the Czech musician who is Bond's girlfriend is a little contrived …. you have the Afghan Mujaheddin, the moderate Russians and Bond all there together !!! But in many ways it was more in tune with the Gorbachev era than many of the Rambo tyoe films ….

As relations improved at the time between America and Russia the anti-Russian/anti-communist film began to subside …. relations between America and Russia were better during the Gorbachev/Yeltsin/early Putin periods …. but have been poor really ever since 2003 and the Iraq war and worse since the Ukraine war ….. things like the Iraq war have also dampened any renewed enthusiasm for 1980s style Rambo films …. with even the latest … and may I add very very violent … Rambo sequel focusing on drug dealers instead …..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Advertisement