Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why dont more people use mopeds/scooters?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What I need is a logical explanation as to why pressing a button on the otherwise exact same ebike makes a difference?

I also need a logical explanation why it is okay for an escooters to have a throttle, but not an ebike?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think you'd have take that up with the EU who created the rule.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It's not my rule but I know why I was created. It's because leaving it as pedal assist makes it legally a bicycle not a moped. So it fits within existing legislation.

If not having a throttle changes people's behaviour "more people might use them" then it implies it possibly will change people's behaviour in other ways. We've certainly seen lots of poor behaviour on eScooters. Paris allowed rental eScooters then banned them.

As such it's possible if all this doesn't work in Ireland they might end up withdrawing the legislation.

Uk is talking about breaking from the EU rules on eBikes. Allowing up to 500w and throttles.

Been a while since I looked at any stats on eBikes and safety, accidents. So if you find any post away.

The EU is one of the only places with this stupid focus on a throttle or not, all while being inconsistent with it when it comes to escooters. Most of the rest of the world allows for throttled ebikes and much more powerful ebikes.

As you say even the UK is planning to change this silly EU law and this will likely put pressure on the EU to follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This is the reason. Not weather or any of that shít. Price on the road is far more expensive in Ireland. Quick check at an online quote, a 50cc vespa, 15 years old is around €1500. Insurance for that as a 20 year old is €1000. Tax another €50. No one is paying that. Italy, France, Spain etc the insurance is well under €100. People get them when they're younger and there's a culture for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Helmet stores under the seat, no lugging a helmet around on a moped

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A lot of people in the countries that allow high powered throttle ebikes aren't happy with them. The EU has had moped laws for a lot longer than most places and that is what a bike with a throttle is, plenty of old mopeds has pedals and throttle.

The UK putting pressure on the EU to change a regulation, are you having a laugh.

No, I'm serious. I'm not saying the UK can force the EU to do anything. But just the UK even considering it as triggered conversations about the topic across Europe amongst transport advocates, disability groups, etc. Which in turn will put pressure on the EU to at least consider it.

And I've yet to hear anyone give a good logical reason for it.

A lot of people in the countries that allow high powered throttle ebikes aren't happy with them.

Again you are conflating throttle with "high powered throttle ebikes". You could easily make that law to allow throttle, but still limit speed and power to 25km/h and 250W which is very low powered.

Also BTW as of this past Monday, high powered "ebikes" are now legal in Ireland. ebikes up to 1000W just require registration and cheap motor tax, but no driving license or insurance needed. While an even more powerful category, up to 45km/h and 4000W are now also legal, but do require driving license and insurance.

I'd say the physical barrier to riding a scooter at speed is far higher, it's going to filter out most people from doing it.

On an eBike it's much easier to access higher speeds thus people are going to ride beyond their ability much easier. In one study it showed eBikes where more accessible to older riders, but they were getting into accidents more often. So it's double edged sword.

The legislation is playing catch up to the technology. As is safety. I'm sure someone done more recent stats on it.

Throttle even on a slow eBike must have a similar effect of people being able to ride beyond their ability. To a higher degree then if cycling is required.

Theres similar statistics about motorcycles and older riders with little recent experience getting into accidents more often. Obvious enough you'd think.

• Advertisement

The cyclists must stay in cycle lanes legislation was revoked. No reason throttles might also be changed. Other than it might not be that popular. Won't know unless you try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Throttle bikes have no place on public MTB trails, same as petrol powered motorcycles….

I've a pedal assisted bike and I've passed fit cyclists going up step hills with ease, the strength and flexibility to use a pedal assisted bike is tiny. If someone doesn't have the strength or ability to use a pedal assisted bike how are they be safe to stop a throttle bike?

On a scooter you have to stand up so you can stop safely. For a throttle ebike you have to pass IBT so have proven that you are able to stop safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,913 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

More gaslighting John_Rambo, it really is unbecoming.

Here's a pic of the exact bus stop where it happened. Notice that the cycle lane runs beside the footpath, no grade separation. Plenty of room for several armies of ants. Pedestrians get to step off the bus, into the bike lane, and then step into the pedestrian section. Luckly I stepped into the lee of the bus shelter, to make room for the people who stepped off behind me.

The bus-driver assumed that the two-wheeler user would slow down - because the two-wheeler was a long way down the lane when the bus pulled in. The driver was wrong: the biker sped up, presumably for the craic.

Faster bicycles, driven by people who lack the knowledge, skill and attitudes to control them are making things noticeably worse for pedestrians.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2843443,-9.0466744,3a,75y,300.78h,80.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-BcvNA8XT5dkGDRZT5TC-w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Hardly relevant to the discussion, to be fair. That's probably as much about erosion as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I hear you. Yet another close call with a "two wheeler" anecdote, this time done "for the craic". They must be targeting you at this stage with the amount of near death experiences.

No, it's not about erosion.

It's about the speed and possibly weight differential between the bicycle and the throttle/motorcycle. When someones cycling up a climb at let's say 10kph and the throttle bike can do more than double that it may lead to incidents, especially if the groups are on these motorcycles, plus they weigh 50kg so 4xtimes the weight of the standard bicycle, plus they are silent in their approach too.

Do we really want these whizzing along very limited and narrow cycle lanes on the road also, that's the point here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

again, it's a completely different context. and not a public road either, so the legal aspect about the definitions are not relevant either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I've been told a few times that it's mostly because of erosion. All Bi-pedaled machines steer from the rear. The act of steering, while also propelling the bike and rider up an incline causes large amounts of erosion very quickly.

E-Bikes are less "visible"/annoying as they don't have a loud 2-stroke engine that you can hear from miles away.

You are correct though that for walkers and MTB's, throttled bikes are a menace, and can be quite intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A scooter was a super solution for me when I lived in Dublin. I'm with you OP, more people should consider.

The main issue though is thievery. Multiple attempts were made on my scooters. These were never successful as I had quite expensive chains and locks. So in frustration each time they would rip off panels and put a screwdriver through my dash 😫

For zipping around to work, college, shops, cinema they are just amazing but understand these are magnets for thieves. Professional thieves are not interested in a scooter, it's teenagers who do it tbh

• Advertisement

Yea true, anything on two wheels is at high risk of theft due to the "Free Dublin bike" scheme…

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭CorneliusBrown

double post

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭CorneliusBrown

hi, I’m about to get a scooter shortly as it happens. Could you give me some advice on what you used to secure your bike please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Just seen this notice in the local park , park is large sized.

that's the first time i think i've seen an icon for an e-bike.

pedants will no doubt claim that that sign bans the use of bikes with rear hub motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Yeah I was thinking that too ,. Hopefully people will recognise the little charge symbol on the wheel to distinguish it as an electric vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

there is very little enforcement regarding poor driving…. As of May last year there were a total of 191 Garda roads policing cars and 124 motorcycles.

An average of 7 cars per county.

An average of just under 5 bikes per county.

It doesn’t sound like there are enough resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Being older than most here, I can remember being amazed by the number of moped type vehicles and bikes with an engine that drove through the front tyre when visiting Dublin in the 1950s.

They can just stand at the side of any road in Dublin and they'll catch people using illegal vehicles, resources don't matter if they don't bother enforcing any laws.

• Advertisement

the problem for them now is that it's much harder to enforce the law. it used to be the case that if someone was using an e-scooter, it was clear they were not allowed. now they are, within certain parameters which it's very difficult to test.

Advertisement