Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New car insurance declined

Options
  • 13-05-2024 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Evening everyone!

I put a deposit on a new car in a car dealership in my locality a few days ago. Before making the final transaction to buy the car, I contacted my insurance company to update my details and get a new quote to insure the car. After multiple phone chats, the insurance company wouldn't quote me but offered no details . They said that the new car didn't meet the underwriting criteria and it would need to be transferred to the underwriting team. It has been three days and I've received no phone call or follow up from the insurance company.

I have tried other insurance companies to get comparison quotes and they can't provide me a quote either. I went onto a website called Car tell and there was 26 files on the new car but no information can be given unless I pay 55 euro.

Should I still proceed with the purchase? Should I explore the files further on the car tell website? I have no penalty points on my licence so I don't know why I'm being refused.

Thanks for reading

Bookworm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭This is it

What's the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bookworm34

It's a Hyundai i30

Ah, not sure then. I know some people had issues getting insured on new model cars, like the BYD Seal which was released this year in Ireland.

An i30 is fairly standard. What model?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

What year? If it's over 15yrs most companies won't cover. Also given the amount of files on the Cartel report? It would appear to have quite an extensive history. Be it crashed or stolen & recovered or more.

As for proceeding with the purchase, why would you buy an uninsurable car?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

sounds like its an insurance write off, dont think id be buying a car that no one will insure. if you want the car then spend the €55 and see what is on file.

• Advertisement

I took it as a brand new car, is it a "new to you" car? If so then I'd be checking the report, although you've already been refused so might be better to just move on if you don't get anything back from the underwriters

The Hyundai has a 2020 car registration 1.0 litre turbo petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Me too...maybe they mean new to them Clarification from OP would help. I think yo are right about just moving on. If the car is an insurance write off, would they not have to be disclosed by the dealer? Maybe ask the dealer to pay for the report ...?

Yes it is a new car to me. The last car I had was problem free but I've gotten a shock with this one not being able to get insurance on. I'll think I will pass on the car maybe even if the underwriters approve it for insurance just based on all the files on the car tell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

• Advertisement

Thanks very much to everyone for taking the time to write replies to my dilemma. I really appreciate it! I don't want to purchase the car and to have nothing but trouble with it. Decision made to move on and look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I wouldn't mind the 26 items of interest. I've seen that before. It was all standard stuff.

That said, seeing as the car would be normally deemed to be a very easy to insure car for pretty much any age group, there must be a write off history attached to it. I can't think of any other reason really.

Try getting a quote for a similar car for sale on donedeal. That will tell the tale.

Advertisement