Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man gets 10 months for threatening to send personal pics

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

You haven't acknowledged the point. No one in the western world is shocked or, in your words, decries them as sluts just because they had their nudes leaked.

It won't prevent them from getting a job or another boyfriend or whatever. That stigma is long gone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

To counter the point that 'just one threat' wouldn't have caused someone to feel suicidal, that has sadly been the case in several deaths in teens in recent times. It's not the same scenario as this, the images were sent willingly because the young men were catfished on social media and thought they were talking to a girl. The threat of exposure to their friends and family was traumatic enough to them cause them to commit suicide. The effect will be different on different people but downplaying it because it wouldn't bother you personally is very short-sighted.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/20/us/ryan-last-suicide-sextortion-california/index.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-68720247

https://abcnews.go.com/US/parents-teenager-died-by-suicide-after-sextortion-scam-urge/story?id=99047305

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,551 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It seems not everybody thinks that sharing photos does not cause issues for the person in them priifol0

Personal issues yes, societal issues no.

You aren't going to get a bollocking from the priest at the Sunday sermon or kicked out of school or lose your civil service job.

It's of important to understand and acknowledge the difference. Heck in the days of yore a judge would come down on you for being a slut, not jail the guy for showing the pictures.

I'm not minimizing the crime or saying it won't affect someone psychologically. What I am saying is that times have changed. Refusing to acknowledge that is wrong

you are making a wide ranging statement with nothing to support it. to say there are no societal issues at all is just nonsense.

History supports everything I've written.

Im going to stop replying to you because it's pretty obvious you're arguing in bad faith.

Seems to be quite a few "i'm not minimising but …" types around.

Feel free to rebutt anything I've written.

Oh and in reality I think you'll find its women demanding leniency of other women who are found guilty of far, FAR worse crimes.

Nurses Letby was one of most evil killers in modern history, didnt stop other womens groups trying to keep her out of jail, never mind "minimising".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

if you advocate zero tolerance I’d like zero tolerance to be more applied to people who physically assault others as opposed to those who threaten to send photos….

Nobody has suggested ‘leaving the guy off ‘ btw…. You’re being disingenuous by suggesting it. Just dealing with a range of crime appropriately.

If I’d taken a few digs in temple bar, lost a tooth I’d be somewhat outraged to see the perpetrator walk with a suspended sentence yet a fella who threatened to send photos, gets jailed for 10 months..

Guy should be dealt with but when physical assaults that cause both physical AND psychological distress are being repeatedly dealt with by kid gloves by the judiciary, then seeing a fella jailed for 10 months for threatening to send photos, it’s a bit crap.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Anyone who torments someone with the threat of making private photos public is a c*nt of the highest order. I'm glad to know we don't let people get away it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,795 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If I’d taken a few digs in temple bar, lost a tooth I’d be somewhat outraged to see the perpetrator walk with a suspended sentence yet a fella who threatened to send photos, gets jailed for 10 months..

That is oddly specific whataboutery.

The effects on the victims of this sort of coercive black mailing can be profound and catastrophic.

But but but she didn't loose a tooth is one of most idiotic arguments I have seen against this sentence and there has been a fair few.

If you don't think this should be an indictable crime, just come out and say it.

it’s not whatabouttery, it’s commenting on the situation…. And comparing serious crimes that are treated by the judiciary with remarkable levels of incompetence and indifference towards victims and the general public yet going to town and jailing a fella who ‘threatens’ to do something with photos…. Ffs do you not think that people who are victims of violent crime can suffer effects that are profound and catastrophic too ?…. As well as physical ?….Well they do, research it.

You can also research the courts reaction which in many cases… ‘suspended sentence‘….

If they can jail a fella for threatening to send naked photos…. But not jail criminals for actually committing assault…..shows just how we are regressing as a society. Total madness.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is nothing special about this case of course, you can be jailed for bullying and intimidating someone in the manner you described, it is a criminal offense just like assault and you can be put behind bars for it. And if you do find yourself behind bars you have the same right of appeal as someone convicted of assault as does the DPP if the person "gets off".

The only difference here seems to be that you are somehow invested in defending this kind of criminality for some reason

I never defended it. Please don’t infer that as it’s plainly untrue… I criticised the sentence relative to what people are getting who actually commit assaults… having been the victim of an unprovoked assault by a junkie in this city as I walked about minding my own business where the Gardai / criminal justice system did fücking zero to help me….. immediately in the aftermath or later… I find it incredible that people if caught physically hurting another person can get away without seeing the inside of a cell yet… as is happening regularly, yet a person threatening to send photos can get a custodial sentence.

I’ve no problem with him being jailed, i have a problem with him being jailed yet others who commit assaults, physical harm, and are not jailed.. no logic or competence in that….

So again, I’m not defending any criminality and sorry, it’s pretty grim and disingenuous on your behalf to suggest I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭volchitsa

You're not the OP though are you? And you did try to speak for others when you said: I dont think anyone has any issue with 10 months for making a threat - which is simply not true.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

And once again, inconsistent sentencing is a separate issue. As has been pointed out by me and others, a threat can cause serious harm to the well-being of an individual. You can view the sentence as unfair but plenty of others disagree. Also, I largely view most of Nolan's sentence to be absolutely terrible, in this I think it's an exception where he's gotten it right. He's also unlikely to face ten months in prison but I couldn't care less if he does.

I would actually suspect the OP doesn't even believe he's committed a crime based on his wording. Numerous posters have referred to it as a "thought crime" which is more often than not phrasing for crimes they don't view as real crimes. On top of that, another poster has clearly stated he has a right to distribute the images... So yep, it absolutely has brought a lot of horrible views out of the woodwork.

Violence against men(whether by other men or women) is never taken as seriously as ANYTHING against a woman.

And if that bothers you, you're a misogynist. Also you don't want to know what the women's prison looks like.

Justice isn't blind, it's gynocentric. Same as the rest of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I pretty much agree with you, though I'd bet most people (myself included) would choose to take a few digs if given the choice between that and having someone threatening to make your photos public. Even if the photos are never made public, the fear of it can drive people over the edge. It really is a cruel thing to do to someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭amacca

That poster was clearly not solely defending him...did you read what they posted

Apart from saying it was a thought crime, which I dont agree with as he clearly did more than think about it...the other thrust of their argument was the inconsistency

People are getting suspended sentences for assault etc etc

Imo its kind of funny mentioning judge Nolan and inconsistent sentencing "elsewhere" in the same sentence....he gave 10 months for the topic of this thread and regularly hands out no more than slaps on the wrist for other serious crimes...

If what hes handing out are consistent...Id like to know what they are consistent with....unspoken policy that there isnt enough jail space for all the antisocial scrotes the system has managed to cultivate over the years? ...So let most of the repeat thugs off and eventually theyll get bored or old?

But we need to make a statement and be seen to be doing something on this intimate images blackmail thing thats becoming more prevalent?

I mean this is a guy that gave out 6 years to an importer for illegally importing garlic into the country (later overturned) while people that commit serious assaults and worse get slaps on the wrist..

Consistent my hole tbh.....tbh I dont blame him..its the system thats warped …if it was functioning properly he wouldnt be allowed or perhaps even incentivised to operate the way he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭amacca

How is it a separate issue...if the system can act quickly to deter this why cant it act quickly to deter other serious crime. Like assault, robbery, etc etc....I cannot wrap my head around how posyers are saying its a separate issue

Its inextricably linked in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,795 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

it’s not whatabouttery

It's the literal definition.

Ffs do you not think that people who are victims of violent crime can suffer effects that are profound and catastrophic too ?…. As well as physical ?….Well they do, research it.

Calm down, no one suggested otherwise.

If they can jail a fella for threatening to send naked photos…. But not jail criminals for actually committing assault…..shows just how we are regressing as a society.

Again you are arguing we are too soft on crime whilst arguing for being soft on crime.

It is a rather unique and bizarre position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Shoog

No one is claiming that this isn't common now days, but sharing without consent is a crime and should be. If the general acceptance of home spun naked photos/movies makes people think that it's not a crime to share them then things have gone to far and some people need a rude awakening.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DialecticAspirations

I posted already here (I thought), pointing out that you didn't defend it. My post may have been deleted for some reason, though I've not received any message about it.

"The only difference here seems to be that you are somehow invested in defending this kind of criminality for some reason".

This is objectively not true, and anyone who reads the thread and has a basic level of reading comprehension can see this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭susan678

I can see things from either side here I agree the sentence does seem harsh for words.

Worrying that somebody is going to share naked sexual pictures of you is also very bad.

The fact that he said it says he was thinking about it.

The sentence is harsh maybe too harsh but it sends out a strong message to anybody else thinking about doing the same thing.

Advertisement