Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2024 USPGA - Valhalla

• 14-05-2024 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't see a thread so said I'd start one.

Tee times: https://www.pgachampionship.com/starting-times

Rory returning to scene of his last major triumph, but then winning 3 on the trot will be difficult, let alone if there'll be an impact following today's news. He's out with DJ and Rose at 1.15 Thursday and 6.40 Friday (get the beers in).

Lowry out with Day and Hojgaard at 6.18 and 12.53, Harrington out with Reed and Burns at 7.35 and 2.10.

Post edited by slave1 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

It's an interesting dynamic. Most guys have a fall in form when a new baby arrives on the scene, but Scottie does seem to manage to segment his life really well.

Rory obviously had a lot going on behind closed doors. Gives more context to the Par 3 Contest at the Masters I guess. But maybe having it in the open has to an extent lifted some pressure off him?

Still hard to know how the Liv guys will perform.

The course looks tricky off the tee potentially, with rough cut away around fairway bunkers and fairways sloping towards them, in a linksy kind of style I believe, so could be a premium on accuracy over pure power maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

Will they push the tee up on 13 to make it drivable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The more I hear about Scottie Scheffler the more I like and respect him.

The latest news. Ted Scott's daughter has her graduation on Saturday. He's going home for it and coming back in Sunday. Scottie will have a temporary caddie on the Saturday of a major.

How many other players would allow this? I think you'd be looking long and hard to find one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

If Scottie wins this one, I'll be really impressed. Think everyone is kind of playing down the life changing experience he and his wife have just been through.

If he doesn't miss a beat, I'll be pretty surprised.

I've just read that his caddy will miss Saturday's round as he'll be at his daughter's graduation before coming back again for the final round.

So, yeah, if he overcomes all that to win I'll be mightily impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

Rory's win here in 2014 was as enjoyable a golf tournament as I've ever seen. I'd love a repeat of it.

• Advertisement

People have babies all the time so let’s not make out this is different to Scottie as I don’t believe he had a baby but his wife.

Fair play to him about his caddy as some wouldn’t allow it. Kuchar probably charge the caddy for leaving him high and dry

Yeah, but how many win Majors the week after becoming a father?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭willabur

how many have become a father the week before a major. If anything he’s probably having a great sleep this week. His wife having a child with have no effect on him.

Yeah I'd say it's much easier than when you are on baby watch and ready to get there at a moments notice. He said he'd pull out if a tournament even if he was winning on a Sunday to be there for the birth of his child.

He's a regular family man just like the rest of the world.

• Advertisement

I don't know how old you lads are, but having a baby these days is a whole different ball-game ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭bobster453

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭bobster453

I would love to see Rory win but head says Mr.Consistency Scottie will do it.

Some are saying Rorys divorce notification will affect him but that has obviously been in the background for some time and might explain his poor form the past while.

He played Quail Hollow with a freedom I havent seen in him for ages.Possible that the end of background issues enabled him to relax and enjoy his golf.

If so,and he replicates that freedom this week I dont think anyone will be able to stop him.

Certainly shaping up for a great 4 days of golf.

Hope it doesnt disappoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Well knew things about Rory, similar to likes of Tiger, is that he likes certain courses and has a record of repeat wins.

Last week being a case in point, so maybe Valhalla is just the right time for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rory won it in 2014 with a score of -16. Are we looking at a similar score or is the course tougher now?

I had a baby in 2014. I'd be of the opinion you don't know what you're talking about.

While Scottie is clearly a family man he has to play the Majors. Let's see how many tournaments between the PGA and US open. I'd be very surprised if he plays more than one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Well seeing as we played golf together you should know.....😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Michael Block won't be repeating last year's heroics by the looks of things, 5 over through two holes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭drury..

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Nice birdie on the 1st for Rory

Sky don't spare the ads

TNT are better in that respect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Official site could do with getting the front 9 pars correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I could probably finish a 500 yard hole in 493 shots alright

The play seems slow as christmas

McIlroy hits the flag

• Advertisement

The course is playing easy. Scheffler might rip it apart if he's in go mode today.

Dreadful start by Lowry, bogeys on first 2.

Featured group on ESPN+ 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Scottie struggling with sleepless nights

What did I tell you about Scheffler. Some start for the best golfer in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I dont think they showed us enough angles of that hole out from Scottie

Rambo having a mare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭big_drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

If you watched his PGA pre-tournament press conference the other night you will know LIV has finished his brain cells aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Look he has so much talent..he will bounce back and find a new way.

But he is an unusual character..he needs that sort of competitive edge ..alpha male thing going on...being a sort of nobody is not good for him personality wise...he never even liked Rory being the main man in any situation.

But he will be back like Rambo in first blood ...or was that Arnie ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You're describing a guy who should never have been within 100 miles of LIV. Too much 'team' clutter and other distractions that play against the lone wolf mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Agree 100 % ...but I guess whatever the hell he got .

1/4 of a billion..it makes him a happy lone wolf ..with as many vixens around him he wants...

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Playing with Brian Harman would drive me nuts with that pre-shot routine. Just hit the damn ball.

As far as slow play goes my favourite so far is Mickelson spending 3-4 minutes looking at a sprinkler, having a chat with a rules official about said sprinkler only to decide it wasn’t even in his way anyway. Good grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭cosatron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

i was thinking about that last night, before i read this thread… it was a peach of a shot, but the drop wasn't a drop and then he did the whole Dan Biggar dance before hitting the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 25 animajic

Yeah that Phil drop was strange, he seemed to have his line chosen before the official even got there so it was a bit of a waste of time. Either that or by the time the official was there he didn't want to waste any more time with a drop

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Break80

Sorry, can't let this one go.

Will someone please explain to me what changed in the 25 yrs since my last baby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd imagine what easy is saying is that men are expected to be a lot more involved with their children than in times past. Lot harder to get away with being an absent father and spending 6 hours golfing every weekend.

I'd often play with older lads and they'd tell me when they had their kids 20/30 years ago they weren't expected to do much. It was the norm to play golf Saturday and Sunday, pints in the clubhouse afterwards and arrive home once the kids are in bed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ok, what I said was a flippant comment to two lads who thought having a baby would have no effect on SS, or more specifically that his wife had the baby and was almost of no concern to SS.

Trigger warning: I will expand using generalisations and some sweeping ones. There has always been a spectrum of parental involvement although these have and continue to shift. There was a time when economically, one wage raised a family, and most of the the time, the division was that the father went to work, and the mother stayed at home to raise the family.

This is no longer the case although probably is with SS and a lot of other professional golfers. SS is also religiously conservative, so not too outlandish to expect he is conservative in other areas too.

Societal and cultural norms have shifted almost universally in the West, so that even if you provide all the financial resources, the expectation is still almost 50/50 in all aspects of the home and family. And certainly where both parents work, the father is generally just as involved directly in child rearing from the very beginning.

If you don't think fathers are more involved in raising children from infancy now than 25 years ago or even 10/15 years ago, you were either a very progressive father or you are in some kind of denial.

Regardless of financial considerations there is now an expectation that night feeds, nappy changing, making dinners (for the whole family), cleaning, trips to the doctor/PHN, shopping is shared equally.

Generalisation/trigger warning: The days of saluting the new arrival in the pub, sleeping in the spare room for a good night's sleep, coming home to a cooked dinner, throwing the baby up in the air for twenty minutes before settling down to watch the match or head out for a pint are long gone.

I'm not interested in a personal back and forth, each individual knows what was involved for them and no one on the Internet knows otherwise. I'm talking more generally and speaking to the universal shift in Western norms regarding work, family life and child rearing and was only replying to posters saying that having a baby doesn't effect the father, specifically SS, in the same way as the mother.

And maybe in the case of SS they are correct due to his own cultural norms and expectations, although I'd still believe it's a different experience for him also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement