Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Home Parks

Options
  • 15-05-2024 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all

I'm just wondering if there are any Mobile Home Parks in Ireland that are open all year round as I am looking to retire early

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I only have experience of parks in Ballybunion Kerry, and they do not open in winter. If you have a mobile on their site, most will give you access to it in winter (after all its yours and you pay a yearly fee) but the water & electricity is turned off. It was very common (when we did have a mobile there) for people to come down over winter and stay for a weekend, but they would bring their own generator.

Having stayed in mobiles in all weathers, I can say that the winters are rough. Even in a moderate climate like Ireland, the winters are cold when all you have is 1 or 2 inches of insulation in your ceiling & walls. And then the walls /windows move when the wind blows and if there are hailstones you cant have a conversation.

However, I loved our mobile and have many many fond memories. They are like small apartments and easy to heat / clean / maintain. Hot & cold running water (gas powered instant heat - if you have gas & water!), you can have double glazing, full size furniture, satellite TV , internet , etc

On the down side: not sure if any park open in winter will allow you to live there full time. There might be issues with residency / postal address / etc

A good alternative is to get a mobile and place it at end of garden of a friend / relative and pipe water / elec in …

all the best!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

There are a few other threads on this if you do a search you will get more information. Long story short - you can't live in them year round. The parks only get planning as recreational homes, not full time homes. They enforce this by closing for a certain period of time. This might be only a month, so you could do it if you went somewhere for a month. But most parks I know close for 6 months.

Advertisement