Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling Stuck In Role

Options
  • 15-05-2024 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post. I'm currently a Clerical Officer in the civil service, I know the sections I'm assigned to be in like the back of my hand but feel as though I'm sort of stuck. I applied for promotion 5 times and each time failed a different competency. I just want to ask would anyone have any advice as when in work since I'm busy I don't have time to think on it but when I get home I realise I sort of feel like I'm going to be there in that same role until I retire.

I've asked for more responsibility before but been told things like "Oh that's for the Executive grades to do" or hearing the higher grades say things like "That's a COs job", it just sort of feels mentally draining seeing everyone else around me get promoted and me just being stuck in this same role unable to build on myself as when I think of my competencies there's nothing worth noting I've done to showcase my experience.

Was just wondering if anyone who's been promoted recently could share any advice? I've been to the CSEAS and my doctor regarding how I feel and had to be signed off work a few times, not feeling sorry for myself just genuinely feel that I'm ready to take on more due to how well I know my job but due to my department being extremely COs do this, EOs do this etc. I'm never going to escape the Clerical role.

I'm depended on to be in and even though other staff are in a specific section I'm in from tine to time I feel like I am that section to the point where I feel as if I'm not in the work won't get done so I'm depriving myself of Annual Leave as I feel like if I take 2 days off I'll be coming back to 3 days work.

I was in another section for 2 years and fighting to go back to my original section as the work in the one I moved to was extremely repetitive and when I voiced this I was faced with nothing but passive aggression from management and even though I was signed off work a few times due to mental health from this situation I was told "Why would I put my neck out for someone who's unreliable" even though up until I voiced my want to transfer back I was essentially the star of the show in my HEOs eyes only to be transferred back to my original section without even being told by management at the time.

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by Kizz91 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,242 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Get some professional training in competency based interviews. Then CS promotion is also something you have to work at the process. You can't wing it.

If you can't move up, move sideways where you're not pigeon holed.

Advertisement