Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyone under 40 left on boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Exactly the same here on all counts.

Apart from one prominent poster, I'd be surprised if there were many or any others under 30. Plenty in their 30s I'd say though based on demographics from back in the day - many of the LC posters from the mid-2000s when it was a massive forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm under 40 myself. I'm 34 years old at the moment. I have been here on Boards for about 13 years. My 35th birthday won't be until January of next year. I first joined here when reading the Commuting & Transport and Television Forums in my early 20's. I still read those forums every now & then. But reading various threads in the Infrastructure and Broadcasting forums have kept me interested in Boards for as long as I can remember.

However; I admit that I do browse Reddit from time to time. But I have not signed up to Reddit to date.

Boards is still my go to site when I login on my laptop every day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

22 years here now and the big Five OH next March - Where do the years go.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Just turned 40 a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Unearthly

38. Had my 20 year anniversary last month.

I’ve been on boards for over half of my life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

Just into 40s here, but I joined in my 20s just before I emegrated. Boards has sort helped me maintain a sense of connection back with Ireland, which keeps me coming back after all of these many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I guess your not too good with the old English grammar.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Does anyone actually ever give their real DOB when signing up to websites like these?

For the last couple of years I've always been entering 01/01/2000.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Boards doesn't ask for your date of birth. You used to be able to add your birthday and get a birthday email but that was it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I doubt it but as far as I can remember it was just a questionnaire with age brackets, like under 18, 18-25, 25-35, etc. (or maybe it was 5 year intervals) it was opt in, not sure how many responses they got but I'd presume it was fairly representative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I am 42. Joined Boards 22 years ago to report that I saw RTE install a new dish for uplinking to satellite in Donnybrook, while passing on the 46A. This indicated that their proposed addition to Sky TV was on schedule, so digital TV in Ireland was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,330 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I really, really, hope you did that on porpoise.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm 36 and I live abroad so it's nice to have that connection. I do use Reddit for some niche things but it's a horrible place to have a conversation, even ignoring most of the userbase.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Yes but it because I used boards as a teen

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

It’s a long time since I was 40 😬 but that’s the thing I love about boards. You get opinions and info and perspectives and you have no idea the age or personal situation of the posters. I joined around 2005 I think … 🤔. Left for a while and then came back a few years ago under a new identity, cos I genuinely missed it. IMO it’s the best discussion forum around. Never a dull day 😄.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think a lot of people first discover boards when they buy their own homes. They "Google" whatever issues they have with the house.

The amount of people buying a home under the age of 40 has dropped dramatically in the last 15 years or so. I'd imagine they amount of people under the age of 40 using boards has dropped too

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I turned 35 recently. And even more recently, I turned 40. On an average day, I rarely spend more than a few minutes on Boards. It seems to have entered a "managed decline" phase over the last few years. If the appetite had been there a few years ago, they might have saved it (a Boards App would've helped - and also something (i.e. anything) less shite than the disastrous migration to Vanilla). Probably too late for it to bounce back now though. I just hope, whenever it does close down, that the two-and-a-half decades of content will somehow be archived and preserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

41 here. Been on Boards in one form or another since the early 2000's back when I was in college……ah, memories!

I still find it good for topical Irish debate but whenever I stick the words "reddit Ireland" after a search, I invariably find more info and something akin to the old school Boards chat of days gone by though I don't think the humour is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i was about to reply in indignation until i realised i am no longer in my 30s :( have been on here a good 20 years plus aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

I check the roads forum when I'm here.…after the boards reskin or whatever I went over to Reddit and never came back.

This is probably my 1st login in the last 2 years and it was just spontaneous as I can't sleep rite now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

The sh*tty upgrade of the website a couple of years ago put an end to that sadly, that was the final nail in the coffin for me.

I am under 40 but rarely, if ever, use this website anymore.

It is very outdated and the new upgrade has resulted in a terrible user experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

I think the Boards mostly represents the Irish internet-savvy society as it was in the 2000s and it has nothing to do with being "Irish born and raised". Personally, I wasn't born in Ireland, though I was later fattened here on spuds and Guinness. There were just less foreigners in Ireland in 2004 when I joined the site. If somehow Boards were to achieve some fame now, its new members would represent a more diverse population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

38 this year. Shortly before I set my current account I think a large proportion of people I knew were on boards, not so much anymore. The app was great and used to be the main way I used the site, the Vanilla upgrade meant I moved more to reddit as a lot of the forums here got far quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Yep, like most posters, I'm 39!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Yes I am in early 30s but I am not the typical person my age. I don't have an Instagram or Tik Tok account and I always have preferred forums over Reddit. It isn't possible for me to use Reddit as I get heavily downvoted and shadow banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I loved the app. I only found out that it wasn't an official app when it stopped working with the new website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭wandererz

All nonsense.

The average age is 6-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

To be honest I don’t see much difference in the site pre the upgrade and now. Granted I’m a small time user but what are the big issues that people have with it now, as opposed to before? I see small differences but can’t see why people are calling it “disastrous” 🤔.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭This is it

Check out the Helpdesk and Feedback forums. Everything from downtime to threads disappearing, posts disappearing, threads not updating, etc.

Advertisement