Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which party will you give your #1 preference to in the upcoming European election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DaSchmo

Maybe he'll romp home, let's see what happens on the day. The public mood and thus downstream of this the political ground appears to have shifted lately and AO'R probably represents the polar opposite to that shift. Whatever wave there turns out to be he's not riding it.

Boards these days might be populated by grumpy old men, but it turned out to be surprisingly representative of the way the referendum went. Even over at reddit Ireland the winds have shifted... look at what's getting up and down voted lately. Aligns with here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Augme

Labour will easily get at least 8% votes in the European election. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves tbh. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The E.U. proposal on the Nature Restoration Law after much dilution scrapped through a vote of the E.U. Parliament in February but has been unable to get a qualifed majority vote from the E.U. Environment Council. The next E.U. Enviroment Council metting is the 17th. June, over a week after a vote that will determine the makeup of the new E.U. Parliament will be known. Even the most optimistic of opinion polls are predicting, )and a highly likely reason that a qualified majority has not been possible on the NRL), if that that E.U. Parliament vote of February was taken under the new Parliament the proposal would be soundly defeated.

14th. of this month Eamon Ryan and Malcolm Noonan, representing our Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications, wrote to fellow E.U. ministers urging them to ensure this propoaed NRL is passed at the 17th of June Environment Council meeting. If, as the polls are suggesting their is no appetite in the new parliament for the NRL proposal in its present format, then isn`t seeking to have it passed on the 17th making a mockery of the democratic vote and the E.U. checks and balances on legislation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Greyfox

No need for the childish remark. Firstly because what these parties are saying they will implement is not enough and more importantly we all know politicians have a track record of not keeping there promises.

• Advertisement

See you after the votes are counted. I'll set a reminder, let's see who's "deluded" then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MFPM

In fairness I think most people would agree that that by-election was somewhat of an aananomly, the FG candidate was woeful, if Varadkar hadn't shafted O'Connell, FG would have romped home. The IT swung right behind Bacik very early on and gave her very favourable coverage which she needed as she had been a serial electoral failure to that point. The test for Bacik now will be to hold that seat.

The IT polls are only giving regional breakdowns for the big three so it's not fully clear what Labour are on in Dublin, they maybe on 10% but I'm not convinced Aodhan is, it just doesn't tally with what I've heard but I may be wrong.

On another interesting outcome of the IT poll SF on 16% in Munster also seems a bit fanciful, there's many questions about that poll, that will only be clarified in a future poll or on results day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

That's very optimistic. Labour's Bacik and her constant spoofing is turning a lot of people off. AOR is also a broken record. They both keep saying immigrants should be housed but they have no clue where. Labour and EU Gilmore betrayed their voters in 2011-2016, I don't think they will ever make a comeback.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Funny that you would complain about grifters given how much you were trying to push Farage and GBNews over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eudaimonia

Your argument suggests that the current parliament's decision-making is somehow less legitimate because of impending elections. This undermines the principle that elected representatives should carry out their duties throughout their entire mandate. Changing of terms is the very cornerstone of a strong political system and is democracy in work at its strongest. I am unsure if you are the poster I first responded to under a different username but some of the information being disseminated is starting to sound like deliberate misinformation and disinformation for reasons I daren’t like to imagine are possible in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,431 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

they maybe on 10% but I'm not convinced Aodhan is,

He could conceivably be elected on a lower FPV than that if he can edge ahead of Cuffe. Whole clatter of left-wing conternders on decent vote shares with the potential to transfer heavily to one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Delighted to see that arrogant twerp Rory Hearne thrown in with the cranks and nut jobs in the latest opinion poll.

"All others on less than 3%".

Still hasn't blunted his sense of entitlement as his tantrum for being excluded from the RTE debate continues unabated.

My point has nothing to do with parliament decision-making because of impending elections, but then I suspect you are well aware of that. In a democracy parliamentary representatives are mandated by the vote of the electorate. When the results of a new election become known then that mandate can very often change.

Elections to the E.U. parliament will take place 6-9 June. There is a E.U. Environment Council meeting scheduled for the 17th June, over a week after the vote will be known, where Eamon Ryan and Malcolm Noonan have written to the others on this council encouraging them to pass a proposed Nature Restoration Law which could not get a qualifed majority under the present mandate. If, as the present polling data suggests. their is going to be no mandated majority in the new E.U. parliament for this proposed NSL then what does attemping that say about all these democratic checks and balances you talk about other than an attempt to push through unmandated legislation in the grey area between one parliament being disolved and a new one established ?

As to your implication that I am a poster using different user names for different threads, I find that a bit rich coming from someone who has only been on this forum for less than a week. I have been posting here for over ten years with the same user name and account, and other than one previous post on this thread have never had any other interaction with you. As you have only posted here 3 times you are well aware of that and I find your implication scurrilious. But then perhaps I have engaged with you previously when you rather than me was using different accounts and user names on this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ionraice

I'm still waiting for the final Midlands- Northwest list of candidates to be published before making a decision.

I will not give a single preference to FF/FG/Greens, SF, Labour, Soc Dems, or any hard right party.

Which leaves me with either Independents or Aontú.

I will make a final decision when I analyse each of the candidates left on the list when it is published.

I clicked Aontú/National party in the poll because Aontú were the only party remotely in touch with the mood of the electorate in the run up to the referenda. For that alone, I think they deserve a preference.

After that, I'll see what each candidate has to say about immigration, health, and housing, and vote accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eudaimonia

The argument you made aims to clarify that the concern is not about the decision-making power of the current parliament due to impending elections but about the democratic legitimacy of pushing through legislation just before a newly elected parliament is seated. Even if the new parliament has been voted for. My argument still stands. If you want to reform the nature of the EU parliament makeup after elections i suggest you go to your local branch of your political party and air your concerns.

In the meantime it is still not undemocratic that there is a grace period while the old parliament still serves. The immediate dismissal of the old MEPs is not feasible due to administrative and logistical concerns, which necessitate a transition period that may take weeks or months. The EU is democratic and is a bastion of democracy. Due to its nature and makeup of various member states the best way to implement that is the current system.

As to your suggestion that I have previously posted here, I suggest you take a leaf out of the book of other forums and don’t post misinformation even if you are a moderator. Boards could very well do a better job of not pushing one political viewpoint at the behest of its moderators who are all from a similar background. I have never posted here before but felt compelled due to the manipulative nature and dleiberate intent to mislead others of the initial posters post.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Soc_Alt

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He is on every second telephone pole smirking down at us around here, he might get votes in the city but here in the county he will get nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Didn't realise Brid Smith was running, as usual she is banging on about how migrants are so hard done by and we are all big bad racists.

Hopefully when the results come in and she gets nowhere she will take the hint and disappear into obscurity.

For a start you could cut out your nonsense attempting to imply I have posted misinformation. As to your problem with moderation, take a leaf out of your own book of suggestions re a political party and take it up with moderation.

I was not posting about a skeleton caretaker administration being in place until a governing mandated parliament is in place. I was posting about Eamon Ryan and Malcolm Noonan attempting to get legislation on the Nature Restoration Law passed during the gap between the desolution of the present E.U. parliament and the establishment of a new parliament that could not be passed with a qualified majority during the term of the present parliament.

In other words attempting to sneak legislation through under the wire, where if the polls are even remotely accurate, under a new parliament there will be no mandate for. That makes a mockery of your so called E.U. democratic checks and balances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Supposedly gives one an idea of which parties you align with.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ionraice

Well, it got one of my choices as number 1, and my second choice last on the list - with all the parties I would never vote for again/never have voted for, in between.

It suggests my second preference as Ff. Not a snowballs chance in hell would I vote for them ever again...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Of those in the Midlands-North-West who have wikipedia pages, I'll probably vote Saoirse McHugh and Maria Walsh. I might look up the other ~11 without easily-readable pages at some point…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There are some bizarre questions totally unrelated to Ireland such as arming police forces and Should the children of migrants who live in French territories be allowed to join their families?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,457 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,457 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I don't know what this is telling me…

Post edited by Quantum Erasure on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

What have Claire and Mick been doing in Europe all this time? Anything to be said for giving them another go?

• Advertisement
Advertisement