Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Election Posters

Options
  • 16-05-2024 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

My dad is an Independent candidate for the local elections.

As Independent candidates, they have to fund their own campaign themselves, political party members have their posters and flyers paid for by the party.

Looking for suggestions for the cheapest suppliers of Election posters any where in Ireland.

Moderators - please remove this post if it is not allowed in the Politics forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I don't have an answer to your question. All I'll say is he's leaving it very late. The election is in 3 weeks and posters have been going up for the past 9 days. Best of luck to him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Saw mention of some candidates not doing posters for enviromental reasons maybe he could take this slant on it.

Get mention, ads in local media.

At this stage so many independent Candidates I'm not sure how effective posters are hard rem just names. What I've noticed about here FG have taken lot poles so minimum room any other posters see lots independent candidate with green on posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You haven't got a choice of cheapest at this stage, its absolutely anyone who can still print them in time for you. You needed to order them months ago. Go out tonight and get the printer names off other posters (its a legal requirement) and call them all first thing in the morning. You are also going to seriously struggle to find decent spots to put them up.

Some parties have their known candidates posters for the General Election ordered; and we only know the latest date for that.

Also, party candidates don't have their posters paid for by the party unless the party has the funds to do so. Only the big three do, and even then, not consistently. Plenty of party candidates cover every cent themselves.

Despite loads of people saying posters have no impact on them, candidates who do the "I'm not doing posters for the environment" thing get tiny amounts of votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

who takes political advice from a lamp-post?

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

The purpose of the posters isn't so much advice or direction it's about, as the Yanks call it, "Name ID".

Name ID is the very first step in the process of getting a candidate known to a potential voter. I'm sure we have all had the experience of showing up on polling day looking through the ballot and thinking "Who the hell is that person? I've never even heard of them". That voter is never going to vote for that unknown candidate.

So the posters are a kind of introduction which is especially useful for people who vote but aren't actually all that interested in politics or keep up to date with current affairs. Whether the voter takes further steps to learn about the candidate or is now open to listening or reading about them when they come across them is going to vary from voter to voter. The important thing is that they now have heard of them and that's the first step cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

In reality in this day and age for the amount of waste, money, plus the horrible sight of all the posters they should come up with a better idea

Even if they stick up screens in areas with rotating images of people or just create websites and people can go, put in their area and see a little video from each candidate

Those posters should be banned, they are an eye sore, cost thousands and nobody votes based on a stupid poster

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Face recognition is a proven tested method with humans. After all, voters are asked 'trust me to look after your issues'. Hence why you see faces on them all, everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

A candidate in Wexford got hi kids to make them, and got a good response

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭donabate1

Excellent idea, thank you……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Funnily enough, we do. Just listened to a podcast on it, it actually makes quite a big difference unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Kurooi

It's familiarity and legitimacy. You see the same face, the same name, over and over again, you start thinking they're the real thing. You assume they know what they're doing and you're not wasting your vote.

And to be fair if others didn't reach you, be it by posters, media or canvassing, what exactly are they doing, do they care about the run at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Take the money you are to spend on posters and take out facebook ads.

Better value these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Can anyone tell me if I took a few of these posters on June 7th to make a compost bin, would there be a problem? I'm serious, there is no subtext here—just a resource-starved gardener.

Many of the independent and small party candidates re-use their posters. I see ones that I remember from the 2019 election. Probably best to ask the candidates themselves if it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How many are you looking for?

The big parties would be dealing with 'direct to board' printers, which would suit large orders.
    I would think any largish sign shop would do a run of a few hundred onto vinyl and apply it to the corriboard. They like to keep their printers running all the time to avoid clogging so shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not if everyone is doing it.

Posters in good locations, in a situation where you have significant numbers on the ballot paper makes a big difference. Sometimes the familiarity is the only reason a vote is given particularly outside of first preference.

A lot of the older folk who traditionally vote are more likely see your face on a poll than on some social media platform.

There is a place for social media just don't underestimate the value of a face on a poster in certain situations.

Looking back I have changed my opinion on this over the past number of years as I've voted on more elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

don't know if this would be allowed but we print sticky backed waterproof sheets and collect second hand corriboard for events we run.

digital printing ireland can do upto a3 so may not be big enough. and you need the corriboard and the time !

oh and you need good hi res graphics to send in.

Any candidate intending to run in the General is going to want to re-use their posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Thanks for getting back. It does seem reasonable to ask them. I'll do that then.

• Advertisement

A mate of mine managed to get paid by FG (I think) to take them down after an election recently. He had a use for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭jonnreeks

There are some ugly images on some of the posters around, very cartoon like features! Scary! 😲

But.. you remember them, right? See, the posters work 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

Recently i had to travel almost daily to the city with my adult son and daughter in law. We noticed , after a week or so that the names of the candidates had become very familiar. So, like them or not, the poster are doing their job. Personally, having seen them my whole life, I see them adding colour to the whole voting process.

One thing though, it is almost impossible to distinguish the local from European poster and candidates. Should be reconsider holding the two elections on the same day? What is the practice in other EU countries

Multiple elections on one day is common everywhere. Council elections are legislatively tied to the Euro date here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

I think only four other countries are holding local elections on the day of the European Parliament elections, two more are holding National elections and I think the only district election in Germany is in Hamburg.

I still hold that it would be better for the electors to hold the European elections on a separate day to the local elections. That way the discussions would be more focussed on European level issues.

Nonsense. It is far less costly on taxpayer to have votes on same day, and other things such as schools are closed for one day, there is a list of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Using posters for gardening is a very bad idea. They get sun damaged and become very brittle, breaking easily into tiny bits of plastic.

Wouldn't recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭geographica

Thing is I’ve seen these planted in the ground not on posts, do you not need a seperate county council licence for that? They look great though

• Advertisement

Yeh, and the cheaper grade corriboard which a lot of these posters are on degrades very fast.

Advertisement