Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nas/Mini PC for Media Server

• 17-05-2024 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭

I asked a few years ago and didn’t get anywhere so kept using my cloud storage (“free” as using left over three credit)

But I have now gotten into 4K and my tv (Philips) is crap at HDR (its way too dark) so I HAVE to know I am watching a Dolby vision video

In an area where the upload speed for virgin is 50 not 100 so if I keep using my cloud it will be take a long time

I have no need for Tbs of storage, as apart from about 300Gb of personal videos I only have stuff too watch then delete (300Gb)

I have looked and like the last time its as clear as mud

A lot of US stuff coming up as in 20 dollars for this old pc/refurbed mini pc and then add ram and a ssd etc, go on the usual sites for refurbed mini pcs and well into 200 euro

Then after that its 200 or so for a Nas and then sure you can put two drives in and have tbsss so that’s another 200 or so euro, so 400 euro or more to have tbsss over I don’t need

I have looked on adverts and old old tech, no drives, no power supply, then prices almost near new

So, in short

About 1Tb storage, to connect say k0di or that to play videos, I have a firestick and android tv that play 4k ok from OneDrive so don’t need a powerful machine

Thanks for any and all help

Advertisement